Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Quick Birth Control Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick Birth Control Question
Phoenix2784
Activist
Member # 58170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoenix2784     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What constitutes a perfect mixed hormone birth control user? I usually take mine at 9:30 or 10pm but one day I took it around 2 or 2:30am. I'm uber scared I'm pregnant and an=m looking at the percent of effectiveness and am unsure of where I fall
Posts: 55 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From our
Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)
article:

"A "missed" pill is one that was not taken within 24 hours of the last pill you took. A missed pill should always be taken as soon as you realize you have missed it, but there is likely no risk from one missed pill or a need for EC. A "late" pill varies more in definition amoung various sources, and to some degree from pill to pill, but with any type of pill, if you have taken a pill more than 12-24 hours late, you may want to consider using a backup method of birth control for the rest of your cycle to play it safe."

Additionally, with the combination pill, three hours after the time when you normally take it is not considered late. Essentially, one late pill isn't too much to worry about.

Does this help?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoenix2784
Activist
Member # 58170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoenix2784     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would that put me in the "perfect" user category since it was only 3 or 4 hours?
Posts: 55 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think it would. It's good to remember that those numbers are--well, they're only numbers. They're statistics based on specific research so it's hard to say with certainty that each individual who uses the pill perfectly has specifically 1% of risk. But yes, you are using the Pill in the most ideal way to get the results you want. [Smile] You are using one of the most effective forms of birth control and you're using it in the most effective way.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoenix2784
Activist
Member # 58170

So if my boyfriend and I had no penetration but I'm 96% sure none of his semen got near my vagina, there would be no way I could get pregnant from that? I'm just really worried that I could be pregnant.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Was there genital-to-genital contact?

Between you being it on the pill and taking it properly, and there likely not being contact between your vulva and his ejaculate the posibility of you being pregnant is very, very, very unlikely.

Is there something that makes you worry that you might be pregnant?

--------------------
Robin

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is never "no way" - even when you use contraception, we can never rule out the risk of pregnancy with 100% certainty. But if you use the pill as directed, your risk is very, very low.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoenix2784
Activist
Member # 58170

He was on top of me and he tried to enter me but ended up just sliding across the mons. Last night he tried again but I wouldn't let him. I'm afraid that some semen could have gotten on my downstairs area. There was no penetration but I'm still scared in case he did cum near my vagina, which I'm pretty sure he didn't but there is that what if.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Since you have taken the pill so consistently, your risk is very very low.

If it would make you feel more comfortable, you can take a pregnancy test 14 days after the suspected risk occurred.

What do you think of using condoms in addition to taking the pill? It sounds like taking the Pill doesn't quite feel secure enough for you. One of the benefits of using two methods of birth control is that if one is compromised the other one is there. Again, you're an effective pill-taker. [Smile]

Here's so more info on using two methods at once.

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

--------------------
Robin

Phoenix2784
Activist
Member # 58170

I want to use condoms but he never makes the effort to put on one. I even went out and bought them. He just never wants to use one so I won't allow him to penetrate. I know that the pill always has my back but I have no clue how to bring the condoms with my boyfriend
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Just so I'm clear, you would like to use condoms but your boyfriend isn't interested.

Do you think that you two can have a conversation about this where you explain to him how important it is and how much better you would feel? You shouldn't have to feel anxious after a sexual encounter. The idea of being sexual with our partners is to feel good, not to worry.

One thing that can be very helpful when having these kinds of conversations with our partners is to have them at a time when we're not being sexual,, when it can be about the conversation and not about sexual feelings and desires.

Be a Blabbermouth! The Whats, Whys and Hows of Talking About Sex With a Partner

Whoa, There! How to Slow Down When You're Moving Too Fast

--------------------
Robin

Phoenix2784
Activist
Member # 58170

I would love use them. I've done the buddy method in the past and it really kept my mind at ease because I wasn't relying on only these little pills.I'm extremely worried about getting pregnant because I'm in college and am DEFINITELY not ready for a kid.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

If this is so important to you, and hurray to you for knowing what you want and don't want, sounds like it's time to chat with your boyfriend. Sometimes worries like these can build up and negatively impact our sexuality and our relationships.

The two articles I linked you to above can give you some info to get you started with how to approach a conversation with your boyfriend, and we can definitely talk about that more.

What has your boyfriend said when you've discussed this before?

--------------------
Robin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.