Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Yeast Infection?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast Infection?
DishWhale
Neophyte
Member # 64578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DishWhale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

Recently I was diagnosed with a UTI by my college doctor. I took antibiotics as prescribed, and it seems to have cleared up.

Two days into taking the medication, I started to feel irritation in my vulva area, mainly around the vagina and the urethra. I had sex once during this time (two days ago) and it hurt just a little so I didn't do it again. This morning, I woke up and found dry, pale yellow discharge in my underwear. I've never had yellow discharge as far as I can remember.

I did a little research online, and it sounds like all of my symptoms match a yeast infection, except the yellow discharge. Mine isn't "cottage cheese-like," it doesn't smell weird, and there isn't even much of it. I read that antibiotics often cause yeast infections and that made sense to me, but I'm not sure if I should rush out and get an over-the-counter treatment or what.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 20 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've never had a yeast infection before, it's not a good idea to get over-the-counter medication. It might be that you have a yeast infection, but it might also be that there's something else going on, and then taking the wrong medication could only make it worse.

I would suggest that you make another appointment with the doctor you saw earlier.

[ 03-10-2012, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DishWhale
Neophyte
Member # 64578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DishWhale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know. Thank you!
Posts: 20 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DishWhale
Neophyte
Member # 64578

Oh, but the only problem is they won't be open until Monday... Should I go to a clinic?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That depends how uncomfortable you are. If you're not super itchy, it's okay to wait until Monday. If you need relief right away, it's a good idea to go to a clinic now.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DishWhale
Neophyte
Member # 64578

It's not too bad so I might just wait... Also, they took a urine sample to check and make sure it's not an STD (extremely unlikely, since I've only had one sexual partner and he's been tested twice since we've started dating almost two years ago and is STD-free). I'll get it checked out if anything changes.

Thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.