Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Trying to Ease Her Mind

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trying to Ease Her Mind
vespertilio_exitium
Neophyte
Member # 95048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vespertilio_exitium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend has been kind of on edge lately because of a recent intercourse we had. Her last period was on the 7th of February and she's been charting her cycle and it says she's ovulating but she's a little worried about maybe being pregnant even though we used a condom and I pulled out before ejaculation. She's been on a high dose ibuprofen for back pain and she said her last period was lighter then normal and a few days shorter. Could the meds be just messing with her? She's going to take a home test but we are both certain nothing happened.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want to give this article a read, first, to maybe clear up any confusion? Pregnancy Scared?

It does not sound like you're describing a pregnancy risk if you properly used a condom, it did not break or fail (you'd know - when a condom breaks it really breaks) and there was no other risk. Our bodies aren't machines; sometimes things work one way, sometimes they work another. If you're really nervous about pregnancy right now your options are waiting it out and taking a test 2 weeks after the incident and, if it's negative (which, again, I see no reason it wouldn't be) then maybe looking into another form of birth control to use in addition to condoms and examining where the anxiety around pregnancy is coming from and figuring out if you are both comfortable with the level of sexual activity you're engaging in.

Also, your girlfriend is always welcome to come here and talk to us herself, if she'd like to.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vespertilio_exitium
Neophyte
Member # 95048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vespertilio_exitium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We both read threw that article and she feels better even though we did have genital contact but we both are sure the condom didn't break and I pulled out before ejaculation.

She did take the test and it came back negative but she said she was going to test again soon. She's about 11 or 10 days away from her period and she said she's having her usual PMS symptoms (breast pain, acne, mini cramps and such) and we've both agreed to take a break till she feels better about all of this. She said she still feels a little worried and such, but she's patiently just going to wait for her period which we are sure will happen.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really glad to hear the two of you read the article together. It's really cool when partners communicate and work together like that. [Smile] Works really well for sex, and for relationships in general. So yay to the two of you.

Sounds like you're both on track to making sure you don't have worried feelings about this again.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vespertilio_exitium
Neophyte
Member # 95048

We are very connected in our relationship. We both take every precaution when it comes to use having sex. We don't have it very often but when we do we make sure to be very cautious.

I just feel bad that I can't do more to help her when she starts to worry like this. I try to do anything to help make the days pass quicker.

Is there anything I can say to her to help her relax now that you know the situation?

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a sound idea to take a break from vulva-to-penis contact right now. Here are a couple more articles to check out about taking a break:

The Sex Readiness Checklist and Woah There: How to Slow Down

As CoatRack said, your partner is always welcome here any time to talk through her worries with us, too, if that's an option. If your partner is still worried about this risk, it might help if you keep stating the facts about how small this risk actually was; is was almost nothing. Condoms used perfectly and using the withdrawal method perfectly gives you a 99.92% percent effective protection against pregnancy. That's very nearly 100% safe. Pregnancy tests are always good for reassurance, too.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vespertilio_exitium
Neophyte
Member # 95048

She appreciates the help and is considering making an account later.

She took 2 tests and they were both negative (using them in the two week after intercourse window) so we didn't know if maybe she should take another or is she ok?

That's a relief and yes we've both agreed on taking a break.

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a risk so small and two perfectly used tests that came up negative, it's safe to say your partner isn't pregnant.

[ 02-29-2012, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: Saffron Reimi ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vespertilio_exitium
Neophyte
Member # 95048

Alright. I will let her know.

Thank you very much to all who've helped.

vespertilio_exitium
Neophyte
Member # 95048

Sorry to post again but just wanting to ask another question.

Since my partner took the tests the 14 days after we had intercourse, she was still wanting to be sure. She took another yesterday and it also came up negative and I am still just telling her that it's perfectly fine to worry, but she doesn't have to. We both realize that the risk is very low, and she is just a naturally frightened person when it comes to this, so is there anything she can do to help just fully convince herself that she is alright?

(According to her online period tracker (MonthlyInfo) she is 7 days away from her period now and she does say that she feels like it's about to happen. She said she does try to take her mind off of it but every time her body makes a weird feeling she panics. Are there any typical things she should be looking out for bodily wise during this time? Please help)

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, anxiety and fear often have lives of their own, and often hang around even after they're useful.

At this point, if the facts (the information and the negative pregnancy tests) aren't convincing to her, it may be a matter of just getting through the fear until her period comes.

I'm not sure what you mean by things she should look out for bodily wise? Can you clarify please?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vespertilio_exitium
Neophyte
Member # 95048

I'm willing to stand by her till it does. I'm funny movie and chocolate ready. haha

Well, she just said she feels odd at times. Like her stomach has a bubbly feeling in it and some minor breast pain and bloating (which I know she mentions every time this time of the month comes around). I get that those are normal and so does she, it's just she keeps thinking it's worse then it is.

(I did read that On The Rag section and that was also helpful)

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

If those are regular premenstrual symptoms, then there's no reason to think they're anything but that. The tummy upset can also be premenstrual, as well as stress-related.

If she looks at
Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul
she'll see that all of her symptoms are stress and premenstrual related. [Smile]

Funny movies and chocolate at the ready? Sounds like she could use some of that now. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

vespertilio_exitium
Neophyte
Member # 95048

She already got some earlier and I'm just waiting till I get off work to give her more. haha

Alright, I'll tell her to take a look at that and thank you once again for all the help.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.