Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Negative pregnancy test.. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Negative pregnancy test..
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dorey56         Edit/Delete Post 
So I took a pregnancy test today from the initial risk and it was negative - as well as I got my period, I assume (bled for 5 days pretty heavy) which ended yesterday. However I feel like I'm peeing like once an hour and tonight my face became flushed and warm and still is. What could those two things be from?? Thanks again.
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could be coming down with a cold or other illness. It could be some other issue...really, the symptoms you are describing could be related to any number of things, or even nothing at all.

If you're concerned, the thing to do is head to your health care provider and get it checked out.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

So the flushing of the face is pretty common? It's happened to me before but not often.
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it happens to you, even occasionally, than it's likely just a unique part of your body chemistry. It is worth chatting to your doctor about it when you next have an appointment, just because it's always worth telling your doctor about what happens with your body; that gives them the maximum amount of information they need to give you good health care.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Oh okay cool thanks!! And last question. I know on opk's the tube says to use them within 30 days of opening, are pregnancy tests the same? Or do they last and stay accurate until the expiration date on the box? Thank you!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since there are different brands of pregnancy tests, best thing to do is to call the number on the box of the one you have and ask them. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Thank you! And just to verify for what I can guarantee you is the last time - with that negative pregnancy test and 4-5 days of what I'm assuming was my period (soaking through 12 or 13 pads over those days means I can't be pregnant right?) can I be 100% sure I'm not? Thank you, for everything.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

A negative pregnancy test plus having your period are excellent indications that you are indeed not pregnant.

Can I check in with you about what kinds of decisions you've made about engaging in sexual activity given that doing so makes you very anxious about pregnancy?

--------------------
Robin

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay thank you. So I can safely assume I am not pregnant? And what do you mean by your question??
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

My question was in reference to conversations in other threads about how anxious you are about pregnancy in general. We had talked about how, moving forward, you might change what sexual activities you choose to engage in so that you won't feel so anxious.

--------------------
Robin

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Yes what are your thoughts, because I hate feeling this way. And honestly I got te negative pregnancy test 33 days past ovulation and felt so much better. But with this frequent urination facial flushing and some cramping I'm nervous yet again.
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

??
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I thought you were on the birth control pill, in which case you likely don't ovulate. Birth control pills prevent ovulation for many of its users.

If you're concerned about your symptoms your best bet, no matter what the cause might be, would be to go to a doctor.

--------------------
Robin

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

I will be. But to ease my mind, with the negative pregnancy test 35 days after a risk, I can't be pregnant right? Regardless of birth control and stuff.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are clearly not pregnant.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Thanks heather! So could you give me some ideas as to why I'm experiencing these symptoms since I'm not?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either of those things can happen when nothing is wrong at all, like when we're just drinking more water than usual (or getting rid of water we might have been holding onto), or when our blood pressure is up, or because we're warm. You could also have a UTI, a flu virus, any number of things.

But if you're concerned about these things, your best bet is to see a healthcare provider. Internet guesses aren't likely to be of any real help to you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

I see thank you. I am going to my doctor Friday for the annual pap smear. So I can ask things then. First question though - im not freaking out now this is all curiosity maybe for future reference. Can urine be too diluted this far past a risk to give an accurate hpt result? And out of curiosity, if someone goes in for a pap and doesn't know they're pregnant or has a uti or something, will the doctor find that out and tell them? And second question - I have lower lower ab pains but no burning when I pee so could it still be a uti? Thanks very much heather you're awesome!!!
Heather
Member # 3

Are you drinking gallons and gallons of water? If not, I'm sure your test results are fine.

Ideally, when we see healthcare providers, we always want to tell them about any symptoms or issues we are having. And when we do, they will tend to investigate those things.

With a pap smear, pregnancy tests are often done at the time, too. And if urine is being tested for pregnancy, high levels of ketones that can suggest a UTI will also tend to show up. But again, no need to wonder what they will or won't do if you just ask your provider about these things and be honest about any current issues or symptoms.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

No, when I took the test I had had a glass of water around an hour to an hour and a half earlier. And that day maybe a total of two glasses. Thanks very much for the advice. Again out of curiosity, is it even possible to be pregnant after having a 4 to 5 day withdrawal bleed with spotting before and after?
Heather
Member # 3

I really think we need to try and think of a different approach here to what appear to be very persistent pregnancy concerns with you. I just don't feel like this way of coming at them is proving at all productive.

Some people do experience bleeding during pregnancy, and vaginal or uterine bleeding all by itself will not, for instance, terminate a pregnancy. That said, if it looks like a period or withdrawal bleed, acts like one, and comes when you're expecting it AND you have a negative test, you have simply got to accept that it is very clear you are not pregnant.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

You're right, I know you are. You just ear all those crazy stories about women who have their period in pregnancy or are unable to get a positive test even when they are pregnant. I do not believe I am either, honestly especially because other than this frequent urination, flushing and some cramping, which began after the bleed, the other symptoms I had subsided with the bleed. how can I get over te anxiety for the future?
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Sorry and one other question about pregnancy tests - the directions for the ones I have usedsay to hold in urine stream for 5 seconds. Does this mean if it is a second or two less than that then the test could be inaccurate? Or can you assume it's accurate if the control line shows up? Sorry I'd just really like to know for future reference.
Heather
Member # 3

I believe we have talked before, or asked before, about you seeking treatment for, or at least an evaluation of, these anxieties by a professional. have you done that yet?

If the control line shows up, you can know there was enough urine.

I'd also add that *I* actually don't "ear all those crazy stories about women who have their period in pregnancy or are unable to get a positive test even when they are pregnant," and I didn't even when I was working in an abortion clinic. I work in this field, and I don't hear those things, besides a lot of you voicing fears of that (we have yet to ever, FYI, have a user here report a pregnancy like that). So, where are YOU hearing these things? I think identifying that and then choosing not to watch or read at those places would probably help you a whole lot.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Of course I have seen them online, friends have told the stories, so on and so forth. Of course I know there can be stipulations to these stories. For example someone can say try had their period during pregnancy when it was actualy only light spotting one or two times. But hearing someone say they had their peiod during pregnancy is what is scary to me I suppose. I really dont want to be this anxious anymore, believe me I don't like it at all but I don't know how to help the way I feel.
Heather
Member # 3

Again, have you yet had this anxiety evaluated by anyone?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

No I have not. Is that something I need to do or is there anything I can do internally?
Heather
Member # 3

It seems to me that this anxiety is pretty extreme given your level of posting here and the kind of feelings you express.

So, my very best advice would be to start with an evaluation by a professional.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay thank you Heather!
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Hi I meant to ask this before out of curiosity - on firt response hpts they say you may see pink moving across the test window to indicate the test is working (I'm assuming this is urine moving across the window). Well last time I took a test as the pink moved across the window, a white line seemed to form where the "pregnant" line would be if you were pregnant, almost like the pink simply ran over that line. Anyway, is this normal and whatdoes it mean?
Heather
Member # 3

With questions about a particular tests, since they are all so very different, the person to ask is the manufacturer of the test. All of them usually have a tool-free number to call with questions like this.

Since we don't work for them or make these tests, so can't know things like this, we can't answer this kind of question.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay if I still have the box I will call. And maybe you can't answer this either, but if when you are instructed to read the test, you do and there's no pregnancy line, it means not pregnant regardless of what happened before?
Heather
Member # 3

It depends on the test. They really all are very different, and there is no way we could even try to keep up with those kinds of details about all of them.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Thank you. And one last one that you may not be able to answer..if others are take after this questionable one and come up negative, can you assume you're not pregnant?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.