Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Sex w/ condom, pregnancy symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex w/ condom, pregnancy symptoms?
jpandsr
Neophyte
Member # 80597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jpandsr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I always have sex with condoms and always use them diligently (we definitely don't need a child right now). My last period started on August 16th and ended on the 21st. We had sex on the 30th (with a condom of course) and he pulled out not even a minute after ejaculating. We checked the condom for holes/ tears afterwards and there were none. We had sex probably about 2 more times after that with a condom. I started getting sore breasts on the 9th of Septemeber. I always get sore breasts about a week before my period, but my period has yet to start and my breasts have been sore for a little over 2 weeks. They seem to be more sore than normal. I've also had cramps like I'm going to start my period for about a week now but nothing happens. I've never really had regular periods. They can range anywhere from 25 days to 37 days, once was even 54 days between periods, but thats only happened once. Pregnancy seems almost out of the question, but could I be? Also, my boyfriend says I've been really stressed between college starting back up and losing my job and now I'm stressing because my period is late. I know stress can cause late periods, but what is causing my breasts to be so sore for 2 weeks? I also stopped taking birth control pills in March (I was on them for 1 year and 2 months), but I've had a period every month since I stopped taking them, so I didn't think that could have anything to do with it. I just want to know what in the world is going on.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any time we have the kind of sex that can create a pregnancy, it can be a possibility, since no form of birth control is 100% effective. However, how likely it is is another matter. It sounds like you use condoms properly (assuming they're also on for all contact) and have had no reason to think you may have had a condom failure. So, pregnancy in this case doesn't seem at all likely.

Breast tenderness and soreness can happen for a host of reasons. Certainly PMS is a biggie, but we can also have hormone fluctuations where that happens that aren't related to our periods or a pregnancy. Fibrocystic breasts are common (and nothing to worry about) and can often be more tender. Even drinking extra caffeine can create feelings of tenderness as can retaining water (which is why tenderness tends to happen for a lot of people before periods).

With your irregular periods, I assume you've talked to a healthcare provider about them, including checking hormone levels?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jpandsr
Neophyte
Member # 80597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jpandsr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is why I was originally put on birth control pills, but they made my breast sore 24/7 and I was experiencing depression with them so I stopped taking them. I wouldn't be worried if it wasn't for my breasts being so sore for so long. I usually drink 2 large Mcdonalds teas a week (sometimes a few more). I know they have caffeine in them, would that be enough to cause increased breast tenderness. And yes, condoms are on for all contact, we don't even get close unless there is a condom on.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How we react to things like caffeine is really individual. So, for one person, that wouldn't cause breast tenderness, but for another, it could. Only way to find out if that's what it is is to cut back and see if it helps.

But given how long you've experienced soreness, I don't see any reason not to call into your healthcare provider and see what they say, especially if it's been a while since you had an exam, including a breast exam.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gloria454
Neophyte
Member # 94007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gloria454     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[message deleted - this area is for staff & volunteer replies only]

[ 02-21-2012, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.