Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » HIV transmission

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HIV transmission
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there I need your help again. I just got home from a sephora makeup store. I never ever do this and I don't know why I did this time but I took one of those tester swabs and tested a few lip glosses on my lips. Now I'm extremely worried, what of someone else may not have used the extra swab applicators? Is there a way I could get HIV or herpes From this?
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HIV is transmitted through infected body fluids, specifically blood, breast milk, semen, or vaginal secretions--specifically through needle sharing, oral sex and vaginal and anal intercourse, breastfeeding, and blood transfusions. So no, HIV cannot be contracted through a lip gloss applicator.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Robin! Is that even the case if the person who used it before may have had chapped lips? Also, Are there any other types of infections that I could have contracted??
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chapped lips won't make a difference with this.

As to what infections you could contract, let's start with the common cold. I think your best bet here is to just make sure you don't use testers again if it makes you worry.

You haven't contracted any STIs because you need sexual contact in order to do that. Make sense?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I guess I'm just worried that what if someone had bleeding lips and used the actual applicator of the tester and then put that back in the tube. Am I at risk for hepatic c? I've heard that hep c has the ability to survive for long periods even in dried blood. Yes I'm never going to use the tester again
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

That's a lot of what-ifs. We're exposed to airborne viruses every day and except for folks with already compromised immune systems we generally don't give it another thought.

It's impossible to say whether you had a risk of anything specific so I really do think your best bet is to just move on from here.

--------------------
Robin

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Okay sounds good. Just lastly, what arethe types of ways that hep c can be transferred? And is it a possibility in a case like this?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hepatitis C is transmitted through blood -- primarily through things like needle sharing, blood transfusions or, much more rarely, sexual contact where blood is shared -- not things like a lip gloss tube.

For more, see: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hepatitis-c/DS00097/DSECTION=causes

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

So it's not possible for some blood to be smeared onto the applicator if the user had hep c and a bleeding lip? And for me to get the infection by smearing the same gloss on my lip? Just wondering if te infection would survive in the gloss liquid and be transferable.

[ 02-18-2012, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: srk20 ]

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

There are any number of infections or viruses that you *could* get from using the same applicator someone else used. So focussing on one isn't particularly useful. It's just as likely that all the people used the test glosses correctly (no cross-contamination) as it is that someone didn't. Worrying about something when you don't know all the information is also not particularly helpful to you. [Smile]

I'm not a cellular biologist (nor is anyone else here, to my knowledge) so it's a little out of our scope to figure out whether an infection could survive that long. Even a biologist couldn't really tell you that because they wouldn't have all the facts.

Are you able to just chalk this up to you doing something that you aren't comfortable doing and resolving not to do it again since it made you anxious.

As I mentioned above, we're potentially exposed to all sorts of airborne viruses every day and would go crazy worrying about every single contact. [Smile]

I know it probably feels like this isn't helpful at all, but there really are no answers here.

--------------------
Robin

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Hep C were spread that easily, though, we'd all have it, seriously. We'd all be getting it the way that so many of us pick up colds.

As that article I linked you to and others explained, Hep C is understood to be about very direct blood exposure, not something like a lipgloss applicator.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.