Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy test
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,
Quick question. Is it possible to get a negative quantitate blood hcg test 2 weeks after a missed period and actually be pregnant? I've been reading confusing information online which says that It is possible for hcg levels to not be past 5 even 2 weeks after an expected period and still be pregnant. Also, would a quantitative blood test find an ectopic pregnany at that time also?

Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some good info on pregnancy tests that should clear up some of your confusion.

Also, since you need to get the blood test from a doctor or clinic they would be the best ones to ask about when to expect an accurate result. Make sense?

Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked through the link but I wasn't able to find an answer to my question. I am unable to ask the clinic that provided me the test because the NP that I saw was very dismissive of my case. She just told me that it came back negative. I asked her about ectopic pregnancy issues or diagnosis and she didn't have an answer. I trust your source a little bit more that's why I'm coming here to ask that if a woman was in fact pregnant with an ectopic pregnancy, could it be detected via blood test two weeks after a missed period?
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ectopic pregnancies will usually show up on pregnancy tests, yes.

Why are you worried about an ectopic pregnancy? Are you experiencing pelvic pain?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

So they will show up on both HPT and blood tests? Yes I'm experiencing pelvic pain on my right side. I'm nto sure if it's pelvic but its abdominal, about three inches to the right of my belly button and one inch down. Is this where my ovaries are located? The quantitative beta hcg result says <2.0. I also tested 2 weeks after my expected period. I'm just trying to understand that if I was pregnant even with an ectopic pregnancy, by 2 weeks after, wouldn't a blood test show even the slightest bit of a positive result?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they usually will.

If you are having strong pelvic pains when not menstruating, then a healthcare provider should look into that.

Did you report those pains to this provider and did they do more than just run a pregnancy test when you did? (Like, for instance, doing a bimanual exam and ultrasound?)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I went to a planned parenthood and they said that they don't do ultrasounds unless they're doing abortions. I'm due for my pap smear next week, so I'll try to bring it up during that time. I just want to know if I can trust my results. Just in case I also took an HPT this morning which would make it 3 weeks after expected period and it came back negative. Can I be sure now that pregnancy is unlikely and that my pelvic pain may be due to something else?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several negative tests are a good indication that you're not pregnant.

Talking to your doctor when you have your appointment to your pap smear is a good idea. I see that you've said you'll try to do this. Do you find it difficult to talk to your doctor?
Some people find it helpful to take a written list of questions so they don't forget what they need to talk about or feel rushed. This can also be helpful to the doctor as they then have a clear picture of what they need to discuss with you during the appointment.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Okay, thanks. I'm just not so comfortable discussing sexual situations with others in person but I know I have to talk to my dr about it so I will. Thanks for the tip about the list, I'll do that.

One more question- is it possible to have breast tenderness in the mid part of your cycle? I'm on birth control and for the past 2 days or so my breasts are feeling quite tender. I expect my withdrawal bleed at the end of this pack. Could this be pregnancy related?

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Random breast tenderness is quite normal for most women as hormones (and not just those controlled by the pill) shift. If the tenderness persists you can add that to the list of things to talk to your doctor about.

--------------------
Robin

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

So I woke up this morning and took another hpt and it came back negative. This now makes it 3 weeks since the due date of my last period. Can I trust these results and rest assured that of there was any kind of pregnancy, ectopic or normal, that hcg levels would be at a detectable amount by now?
Heather
Member # 3

I would say so.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Thanks, Heather. I believed what you said and I don't know why I researched further but I just read this info off of American pregnancy association's website and I'm so confused, is this true?

"If your test is negative and your period is late, then you should wait a week before testing again. Some women take 2 to 3 weeks after a missed period before producing a detectable level of the pregnancy hormone."

Here's the link: [edited]

Please tell me what to think! My min is running in circles now [Frown]

[ 02-12-2012, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

Heather
Member # 3

The APA is a front for antichoice efforts, so I wouldn't consider them credible about anything. (I also pulled the link for that reason: I'm not comfortable having any links here to antichoice sites.)

I strongly advise at this point that if you can't let this go that the person you talk with is an OB/GYN, in person. I feel like internet conversations don't seem to be helping, and if anything else, internet research may be making this worse for you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Thanks for educating me on what is credible and what is not, Heather. I always come here for reliable information that I can trust. I have an appt with my ob tomorrow, and until then I'm just going to believe the result of my test this morning and be confident that I cannot be pregnant which is what your team has been telling me and now i need to believe it too. Thanks gor all the help.
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I went to my gyn and got an ultrasound done. He found a fluid like mass of 4mm in my uterus and said that he wants me to get an MRI done. I actually have a vaginal septum so he wants to investigate and see if I have two uteruses.
Here's my worry, and I didn't really want to discuss it with him because he didn't bring it up. He ran a urine pregnancy test, and this makes it about 3+ weeks since my last period and it came back negative. Is there any way that that sac could be a gestational sac? Are there any occurrences where women don't have any hcg levels but a sac does show on an ultrasound? There was nothing in it- it was just black. I felt really embarrassed asking him so I didn't since he never brought it up either, but now I'm worried about it.

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little concerned that it sounds like you could have a very serious issue here, but you are still only worried about pregnancy... Do you want to discuss what it is about pregnancy that makes you so focused on that possibility alone?

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

I had a very bad pregnancy scare last year and I just now am worried that anything can get me pregnant. Obviously seeing an ultrasound and seeing a sac like that in my uterus made me worried that it could be related to pregnancy. Since I'm very shy, I didn't ask my gyn if it could be pregnancy related since he didn't say anything. I have pcos and he said that it could just be another ovary with cysts. That's why I wanted to ask your team if it's possible to have a gestational sac with 0 hcg levels. I just want to rule out the idea of pregnancy altogether. I cannot possibly get pregnant because I'm not married and it would result in a loss of my faith. I am therefore not engaging in any type of sexual intercourse, but since this fear of pregnancy has come into my mind- I get scared that I could even sit on sperm on a toilet seat and I could get pregnant from it.
Heather
Member # 3

It sounds much more likely, to me, for this to be related to your PCOS. And if you have a septate uterus, my understanding is that that can make PCOS even more complicated.

But I also think your OB/GYN has made very clear this isn't about pregnancy, too. That said, I think talking about this with them would really benefit you. Sometimes just saying things out loud and hearing them back that way can really turn fears around, while keeping them locked up without voicing them only tends to keep them going.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.