Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Tenderness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tenderness
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dorey56         Edit/Delete Post 
So Last night and this morning I have found that my nipples are a little tender. I only notice this when I squeeze them lightly. And only the left one is pretty tender and the right one really isn't very tender. What could this be?
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breast tissue is particularly sensitive to any hormone changes in the body. A little bit of tenderness is not abnormal. Of course, if anything persists for longer than is comfortable a visit to the doctor is in order.

Here's some reading material on breasts:

Abreast: The Basics of Boobies

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Thanks for that link, I just read it. But with this being my only "symptom" could you tell me what it could be?
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Robin said, it likely isn't anything. Having some breast tenderness on occassion is pretty normal.

Of course, if it persists and/or is really uncomfortable, it's a good idea to check in with a doctor. But we really can't guess what that would it could be, and it's also not really very productive at the moment.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay sorry just wanted to ask. I also have another question. Last nIght I developed pretty bad stomach cramps in my upper abdomen and threw up 3 times pretty close together. This isn't indicative of something like morning sickness is it? It's rare that I throw up so it got me wondering
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

??
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's go back to the basics, do you think you have a reason to be pregnant?

What you describe sounds like stomach flu to me, but I'm not a doctor.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Nothing new, again, same possible risk from before. Sorry o bring it up yet again, but throwing up is rare for me so I got worried.
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Hello again. This will be my last question pertaining to this situation I promise!! I'm due for my withdrawal bleed in 4 days. So I was just wondering if you could clarify something for me. There are a million in one things that could be symptoms of pregnancy or they could be due to other things. Now I know the only way to know if you're pregnant or not is trough a test or getting your period but I was just wondering if you could clarify this for me. Now I had a spell of tiredness that only lasted 2-3 days and has now been gone for about 2 days so would that be less likely due to pregnancy since it went away? And would the same apply to nausea and vomiting? (I had what I'm assuming was a stomach bug that make me vomit a few times in a few hours and I was nauseous for about 2-3 days but then that went away). So since they seem to havr been temporary would that mean they're likely not due to pregnancy?

I was also wondering if you could answer another question. When women experience pregnancy symptoms, do they seem to mimic the woman's normal pms symptoms? The only consistent symptom I've been having is tender nipples when pressure is applied, but for me that's pretty normal before I get my period. However they're a little more tender than usual and started to bother me a day or two earlier than normal. Would I likely be experiencing other symptoms on top of this if I was pregnant? Thanks!!

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The duration of symptoms doesn't indicate anything, and while sometimes early pregnancy symptoms can be similar to PMS, other times they're not. (PMS symptoms can vary from cycle to cycle, so what you're describing with the nipple tenderness isn't anything unusual.)

As we've said before though, if you want to know if you're pregnant, a test is the only way to know.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

So even though I was quite tired for just a few days that could be due to a pregnancy, as well as the nausea thing? And with the "morning sickness" symptom, what's that like exactly? Sorry just wanna be sure I get what you're saying!
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

I knew a woman once who told me that the only pregnancy symptom she had was a bump on her front--from her protruding belly caused by the growing baby. She was an exception, but....

So So we can't say what syptoms would be pregnancy syptoms and what wouldn't because all women experience it differently.

The best way to figure out whether one is pregnant is not from analyzing syptoms but from taking a test. Does this make sense?

Also, three questions for you:

Are you still taking the birth control pill?
Have you had a withdrawal bleed recently?
Have you had any sex that would pose a pregnancy risk, based on our Pregnancy Scared article?

--------------------
Robin

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

1. Yes I am.
2. The last one I had was almost a month ago and my next is due in 4 days.
3. The last one I had was 3 days before my last withdrawal bleed, but I thought I could have ovulated during my last withdrawal bleed (I was afraid the airborne I took pretty often may have affected my birth control for that cycle).

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone's body is different, so experiences with pregnancy vary pretty drastically from person to person, and that includes how long pregnancy symptoms last and how severe they are. Morning sickness, for instance, may not happen at all, or infrequently, might happen in the morning but can also be nausea at other times of the day or all day.

However.

You have been told by multiple people here (and a withdrawal bleed, to boot) that you are not pregnant, so asking about possible pregnancy symptoms is kind of a moot point. Us giving you all this information also doesn't seem to help reduce your anxiety at all. If you want to talk about getting some help with that anxiety, or about how you can step back from sex until it no longer makes you this anxious, we're more than happy to have those conversations. It's pretty clear at this point though that talking about the details of possible pregnancy symptoms and essentially non-existent risks is not productive or helpful for us or you, so this needs to be the end of that particular conversation.

[ 01-31-2012, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Okay I'm sorry. I guess it was just odd that even after I myself was convinced it was impossible, I got some weird symptoms but if you say there's no way I'm pregnant from that risk, I believe you.

I'd love to talk about my anxiety issues with sex..I hate, I mean really HATE that it makes me this nervous. I really enjoy it and feel like if I were to enter a relationship would want it, but I couldn't take feeling this scared and nervous all the time.

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Well, to start off with, what do you think it is about sex that is so stressful for you? I'm hearing that you have a lot of anxiety about the possibility of becoming pregnant: can you elaborate on why that is at all? What do you think would happen if you DID become pregnant?

--------------------

dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

It's definitely a fear of being pregnant. If I'm in a situation where sex of some kind could happen, I'm not bothered. But afterwards I'm so scared I could be pregnant and it would just be devastating because I'm not sure if I ever want kids but absolutely not now. I just feel like if it happened now my future would be ruined and I'd be judged by all the people who are important to me.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Fear of judgement is a strong motivator for anxious thoughts.

One thing I'm not clear on is: Are you in a relationship now, whether long-term or more casual?

It's always your choice whether or not to have sex, and there's no harm in deciding that you want to take a break from sexual activity. Even if you have already had sex, it's okay to dial bak the intensity and say that you're going to take a break.

One thing I'm wondering: How does the factual information we've shared with you on pregnancy risks, as well as information on birth control, affect your anxiety? having read your posts it seems like the anxiety has a life of its own, but since you're the one experiencing it you're the best one to evaluate that. This is not a judgment by the way, only an observation. *gentle smile*

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.