Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Drinking someone else's water

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drinking someone else's water
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anael1238     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this may sound really paranoid but at school I accidentally drank from a water bottle that someone left on the table. I heard its possible to get the herpes simple virus that way, is it true??? or some other kind of disease???
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideally, just picking up a glass or a bottle of water that's lying around and drinking from it is a bad idea. That's not a sound choice for your health.

That said, you're way more likely top pick up a cold or flu virus that way than HSV. But all the same, all you can do now is make a point to not just grab random glasses or bottles and drink out of them.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anael1238     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I thought it was mine because it was the same exact brand. I hope I'm just being paranoid. Is there any other disease that can be contracted this way? Aside from the flu and colds? so I shouldn't really be worried about hpv ya think
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Oops hsv
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many kinds of viruses can be transmitted like that, but again, there is really nothing to do now, you know? All you can do is to be more mindful in the future and figure that if you're current with all your vaccines, you've done all you can do. This stuff happens often enough in life, and most of the time, most people don't contract serious diseases this way.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

What kinds of disease if you don't mind?
Heather
Member # 3

Seriously, there are so many -- everything from the common cold to meningitis -- I'd be here all day (and it's also not really part of my job as someone who provides sex and relationships education). A lot of viruses can be transmitted by sharing water glasses or bottles.

So, once more with feeling, since there is nothing you can do now about having shared this, and worrying doesn't change a thing, the best you can do is just be more mindful in the future.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

I see thank you! Should I get tested for hsv or anything do you think
Heather
Member # 3

Testing for HSV is actually very uncommon and also pretty tricky, especially since almost all of us will have antibodies since it's so widespread.

But when you have your health checkups, you can always ask your doctor what, if any, infections they think you should be tested for.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

I apologize if this seems like a stupid question but there's no way I could get any type of std this way right? Or anything that would impact my bc pill?
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will find this article helpful in understanding what will and won't affect your birth control pill's effectiveness:

Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

No I meant any std or disease in general or any disease that could affect me and my pill
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Illness doesn't affect the pill, generally, unless it causes vomiting or diarrhea. The effectiveness of your pill is not something you need to be concerned about here.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Heather said, there is a wide, wide variety of viruses that someone could potentially get from drinking from another person's water bottle. It's not our area of expertise to know all of the diseases someone could possibly contract.

I gave you that link on the Pill so you could read about what interacts with the pill. You will not see any viruses or other types of diseases in that list. Make sense?

You already mentioned HSV which is the one most commonly passed through oral contact.

However, if we walked around wondering what sorts of illnesses everyone we encounter are carrying (don't forget there are lots of airborne illnesses, though not the category knowns as STIs, too) we'd drive ourselves a little crazy I think.

Because this has already happened, it's important to accept what is and just be more careful in the future.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Oh I meant like it is possible to get any std this way >< sorry! That's so true about the airborne illnesses though!! Thank you!!
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STI stands for Sexually Transmitted Infection. The keywords here are sexually transmitted, which means transmitted through sexual activities. Sharing a water bottle is not sexual by any definition I'm aware of. (Oral herpes is not an STI).

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Oh ok thanks, I was under the impression that oral
Herpes was. So it's not the same as genital herpes then?

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are different strains - they both can be transmitted sexually, but usually people get HSV-I young from family or friends. HSV-I is usually orally transmitted and HSV-II is usually genitally transmitted.

Check out this:
The STI Files: Herpes

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

So to clarify, a person with oral herpes shouldn't give oral sex? I'm concerned as to if I should get tested for it or anything. I read the link you gave me and so does this mean to be careful
I should always use condoms or whatnot

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, it's good practice to use condoms to keep yourself safe from other STIs you can get from oral sex until or unless you know the disease status of your partner or partners.

--------------------
Robin

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

My boyfriend and I had been tested and we're both good. Im confused as to if I should get tested for HSV and stuff or am I just being overly paranoid? Like should I always use condoms from now on, or never participate in oral sex and so forth. Im so sorry ><"
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

At this point, I would say you have nothing to worry about. There's no reason to think that you've been exposed to anything. Okay?

You could certainly ask for HSV tests at your next routine appointment, but you have no reason to become alarmed now and change what you do.

In fact, the most constructive thing you can do right now is work on making it easier for you to identify your own water bottle so you don't make a mistake again. Make sense?

--------------------
Robin

anael1238
Activist
Member # 94117

Seriously thanks so much for talking me through this and calming me down. I'm so appreciative. I should just chill and bring my own little water container lol.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.