Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pap Smears

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pap Smears
Member # 45529

Icon 5 posted      Profile for thatonechick1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im 18 and "sexually active," should I go in for a pap smear? I looked on other sites and they all states to wait until Im 21.
I wanted a more informed answer.


Posts: 14 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually it's recommended to get gyn care by age 21 OR when sexually active - whichever comes first. Since you are sexually active (and 18 is not a bad time to start even if you weren't) then it is a good time for reproductive healthcare, including STI testing.

Your First Gynecologist Visit
Testing, Testing...

Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3

Search Scarleteen