Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control
Hi123
Neophyte
Member # 80085

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Hi123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 16, and I'm looking to start taking birth control, I've had sex once before, and my boyfriend and I were talking about it, and we wanna make sure we're as safe as possible, hence birth control.
But I'm not sure how to tell my mom, because she might think something is going on. So how do I tell her without giving away the fact that I've already had sex?

Also, is there any method of Birth Control that's more effective than others?

Thank you [Smile]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you've already had sex an are concerne concerned about pregnancy prevention, what did you use when you had sex?

When you say you want to be on birth control, are you referring to the birth control pill? The pill is statistically the most effective form of birth control, witha 99% success rate when used perfectly, and a 92% success rate with typical use.

You can read more about the pill:

Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

There are other hormonal forms of birth control:

the Contraceptive Patch
Depo-Provera (The Shot)

As to how to tell your Mom, I'm wondering how you think she feels about you having sex. Are you concerned about discussing that with her, or are you just concerned that she'll find out that you've already had sex? IN other words, how do you think she would react if you just tol her that you want to be prepared for the time when you *do* want to have sex? Or, what do you think would happen if you told her that you an your boyfriend are sexually active and that you want to be as safe as possible?

Also, since you were asking about efectiveness rates, here's an interesting article on the effectiveness rates for preventing pregnancy with using two birth control methods at the same time:

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi123
Neophyte
Member # 80085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hi123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had sex before, we used a condom, and the withdrawl method together.

My mom and I had already had "the talk". She said I was too young to be in a serious relationship like that (I'm 16 by the way). But my boyfriend and I both felt ready, we were both willing to, we trusted each other, and it had been almost a year since we started going out. We're broken up now, and I've found a new boyfriend, and we've been discussing it as well. I want to be as safe as possible.

Another reason why I want to start birth control (besides the obvious reason) is because when I get my period, it's very painful, like I can't move for 4 days. I seem to remember someone saying it can also help to clear acne, which is one of my insecurities.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have you yet started your annual OB/GYN visits and exams? If not, sounds to me like it's past time. That's important once you've been sexually active, but painful periods are something else to just have checked out, too. And now you also want to talk contraception, so it's time!

Do you know where to go in your area to get that healthcare? You can tell your Mom and have her be part of that, but you don't have to, either: it's care you can also get on your own.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi123
Neophyte
Member # 80085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hi123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about that kind of healthcare in my area. There aren't any clinics specifically for pap tests, I do know that my family doctor offers a pap test clinic certain days at certain times, and my family doctor is able to prescribe it to me.

I've always had painful periods too, I got it checked out, they used to be very abnormal, but they've regulated themselves over time, I just have a lot of pain, which Tylenol or Advil can't fix.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Want to toss me a zip code for you and I can take a look to see what might be available?

(Just FYI, there aren't clinics specifically/only for paps anywhere that I know of. However, many areas have clinics specific to sexual or reproductive health on the whole.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hi123
Neophyte
Member # 80085

A1C 1A1 is the zip code for the city I live in, it's a small city too, so it shouldn't be too difficult.
Heather
Member # 3

Tada!

http://www.nlsexualhealthcentre.org/

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.