Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Can a possible cyst delay a period by a day?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can a possible cyst delay a period by a day?
Boston_EGL07
Neophyte
Member # 93091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boston_EGL07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, here's a quick history. I posted about this in another question:

My period in December was from Dec. 7-12. The following day, I was with my boyfriend and he fingered me. I was naked, but he had on his boxers and his jeans. Although I know you can't get pregnant from fingering itself, I was worried that if my boyfriend ejaculated, the sperm could somehow get through his clothing and get me pregnant. My cousin said that even if my boyfriend ejaculated, I would not be at risk for pregnancy from this. Scarleteen volunteers also said pregnancy would not be possible from this either.

Anyway, my period for January was due on the 4th, but it didn't start until the 5th. I was really freaked out by this, thinking that maybe it really is possible to get pregnant from what I just described, but then I realized I was being paranoid. However, my period was slightly shorter than usual, too. I had normal bleeding on the 5th, 6th, and 7th. It was lighter on the 8th, and then I had brown spotting (very light) on the 9th and a little bit on the 10th.

I went to the nurse practitioner at my OB/GYN's office on the 10th (yesterday) because of symptoms I've been experiencing since November: constant bloating, constipation, low back pain, fatigue, intermittent pelvic heaviness, and some pelvic/stomach pain. She did an exam and said that everything was normal. I also had an ultrasound (abdominal) on Dec. 30th regarding these same symptoms, and everything seemed normal.

The RNP ordered a transvaginal and transabdominal ultrasound for me, which I had done today. The ultrasound tech said that my uterus looked perfect, but there was a little bit of fluid around my right ovary. She thought this could be due to a burst cyst. The radiologist read the ultrasound, and the report reads as follows: "the uterus measures __________ (normal -- I won't include that info here). There is no uterine mass. The ovaries are normal in size bilaterally. A simple 1 cm cyst in each ovary is likely physiologic. A small amount of free fluid is also likely physiologic. There is no hydronephrosis. The bladder is normal in contour. Impression: unremarkable pelvic ultrasound. Tiny ovarian cysts as well as pelvic free fluid are likely physiologic." Basically, the radiologist said that this means that this is a normal cyst that comes and goes as part of a normal menstrual cycle.

So, could a cyst like this possibly mess up my period a little bit? I just don't want to freak out about pregnancy if there's no reason to worry. I also don't want to waste money on a pregnancy test if I'm not pregnant (and I really don't think I am). I don't have any symptoms... the only thing that's happened has been nausea, and that was this weekend -- I had a stomach bug and I was vomiting and had diarrhea for two days. I feel better now, though.

I just don't want to worry. I'm due for my next period on February 2nd, so I don't want to stress out and possibly delay that period.

Also, as a side note: I should mention that I cannot be on birth control due to a heart valve problem. My cousin has this same condition, so that's why I feel comfortable talking with her about this.

Posts: 13 | From: Boston | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, even regular periods often have deviations from cycle to cycle by a day or two.

Having a cycle be the EXACT same number of days for years is what would be unusual.

So, I don't even see any reason to bring the cyst into this, since deviation by a day or even a few is something common for most people who menstruate no matter what.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boston_EGL07
Neophyte
Member # 93091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boston_EGL07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect, thank you for the info.

However, one more thing: given the slightly irregular (in regards to flow) bleeding I experienced this cycle, could that be due to the suspected cyst? I've never had one before (that I'm aware of), so this is all new to me. And the transvaginal ultrasound -- can that make you bloated? I had the exam around 2pm today and I'm bloated now with some low back pain.

And just to be extra clear, there's no risk of pregnancy from what I described in my original post, correct? I just want to be absolutely sure. I'm always very careful because I'm unable to be on birth control due to a heart problem. Obviously I know condoms are available, but I'd rather just not have sex until marriage (or at least until I graduate college and have a job, etc.) when I can financially support a child should birth control fail. The only reason I'm asking is because the symptoms I described are really working their magic as far as tricking me into believing I'm pregnant. I'm sure that's impossible, but there's just a little part of me that worries, especially about the fatigue.

Posts: 13 | From: Boston | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boston_EGL07
Neophyte
Member # 93091

Perfect, thank you for the info.

However, one more thing: given the slightly irregular (in regards to flow) bleeding I experienced this cycle, could that be due to the suspected cyst? I've never had one before (that I'm aware of), so this is all new to me. And the transvaginal ultrasound -- can that make you bloated? I had the exam around 2pm today and I'm bloated now with some low back pain.

And just to be extra clear, there's no risk of pregnancy from what I described in my original post, correct? I just want to be absolutely sure. I'm always very careful because I'm unable to be on birth control due to a heart problem. Obviously I know condoms are available, but I'd rather just not have sex until marriage (or at least until I graduate college and have a job, etc.) when I can financially support a child should birth control fail. The only reason I'm asking is because the symptoms I described are really working their magic as far as tricking me into believing I'm pregnant. I'm sure that's impossible, but there's just a little part of me that worries, especially about the fatigue.

[ 01-11-2012, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Boston_EGL07 ]

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could have been because of the cyst, yes.

Again, no, I don't see a risk on that scenario.

You know, I think you and I talked about this before, but you do still have more options than just condoms with a heart issue. Do you want to talk about those options?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boston_EGL07
Neophyte
Member # 93091

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure you and I have spoken about other BC options before, though -- I'm very new to this site. In any case, I've spoken with my cardiologist and she tells me that condoms are my only option. Now, I'm not sure if she's just saying that because she doesn't want me to just get on birth control so I can sleep with a bunch of guys (not that I would ever do something like that). She's VERY protective of me. I've been a patient of hers since I was 6 years old (I'm 21 now), and she can kind of baby me. I mean, I know there are plenty of other forms of birth control on the market, some that are hormone-free, I'm still just not sure they're right for me.
Heather
Member # 3

Sorry to get you confused with someone else in a similar spot!

I think you'd be best served by talking to an OB/GYN about contraception. They can get your health history from your cardiologist to double-check anything, but by all means, they're not giving you accurate information when they say condoms are your only option. Not only do you also have options like cervical barriers and the Paraguard IUD, you may even be able to use progestin-only hormonal methods.

But unless your cardiologist has training with contraception -- and she probably doesn't, or doesn't have anything current, since it's outside her cope of practice -- that doesn't sound like a good primary care provider when it comes to these issues, but instead, someone to have a PCP who DOES do this consult with about your condition as needed.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.