Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » menstruation and sex and stuff

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: menstruation and sex and stuff
xskinnyx
Neophyte
Member # 46346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xskinnyx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! So, I'm kinda confused.
I take the pill, a new pack on tuesdays. I took my last one on monday and I'm usually in my period by tomorrow evening.
I just had unprotected sex with my boyfriend (we don't usually use condoms since i'm on the pill) and when we were done he casually asked if I took my pill this morning . I didn't, and now we aren't sure if I should go ask for a morning after pill, or if since I'm gonna be menstruated tomorrow everything should be fine.

Thanks for you time [Smile]

Posts: 32 | From: Montreal | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it wasn't unprotected because you use the pill.

Am I understanding right, though, that it's time for your new active pills to have started and you didn't? Or are you in your placebo week?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xskinnyx
Neophyte
Member # 46346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xskinnyx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
placebo week
Posts: 32 | From: Montreal | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So. Combined birth control pills are equally effective every single day of every cycle so long as you take them properly.

And the placebo pills are just that: placebos. There are no hormones in them. So taking them is optional, and not taking them doesn't mean you missed a pill. You only have to worry about missing active pills, not placebos.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xskinnyx
Neophyte
Member # 46346

so i'm still protected during my placebo week even though there aren't any real pills to be taken?
Heather
Member # 3

Yep. So long as you start your next pack of active pills on time. It's if you take those late, especially that first one, that sex during the placebo week (and after) can pose risks of pregnancy much higher than you have when using the pill properly.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

xskinnyx
Neophyte
Member # 46346

okay, and about using the pill properly.
I take it every morning at 9, is it true that if I take it within a 3 hour range (over or under) it is still okay?

Heather
Member # 3

Yep!

By the way, you know that in your city you have an AMAZING -- and one of the oldest! -- sexual health clinic and education center for young adults if you also want to get things like this cleared up in person?

If not, might just file it for reference. It's here: http://www.scarleteen.com/node/3487

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

xskinnyx
Neophyte
Member # 46346

huh! thanks for the info [Smile]

and still an other question. say i find that taking my pill at 11 is more convenient then 9, when is the good time to make the switch?

Heather
Member # 3

With such a small time difference, it really doesn't matter: whenever you want.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

xskinnyx
Neophyte
Member # 46346

3 hours and more would be a bigger difference?
Heather
Member # 3

Yes. And in that case, what I'd advise is taking a pill early rather than late.

In other words, let's say you take it at 9AM now, but would prefer taking it at 5PM. With something like that, you'd just take an extra pill that day, taking the one at 9, and another at 5. That way, you can switch without missing a pill.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

xskinnyx
Neophyte
Member # 46346

okay. but missing a pill cant be such a big deal since im protected during a whole placebo week, u know what i mean?
Heather
Member # 3

Well, not with the placebo pills, but then you'd be starting your active pills late (if we are talking more than a few hours switching).

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

xskinnyx
Neophyte
Member # 46346

i mean, in the middle of the three active weeks. if i skip a day by accident, im protected anyway?
Heather
Member # 3

If you skip a day during the active pills, your pill effectiveness will usually decrease, especially if you do not make up the missed pill.

That doesn't mean effectiveness goes to 0, just that it is lower, and can remain lower for the rest of that cycle.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

xskinnyx
Neophyte
Member # 46346

then my protection is lower during the placebo week?

i'm sorry, i've been confused about this for a while... :S

Heather
Member # 3

No. Again, the placebo pills are something else entirely.

Let's see if this helps you out (I get that it can be confusing): http://www.scarleteen.com/article/reproduction/how_do_birth_control_pills_really_work_even_during_the_placebo_period

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

xskinnyx
Neophyte
Member # 46346

okay! all my questions are answered, thanks a billion for the quick replies and for your patience. this website is amazing and the work you guys do is also [Smile]

cheers! [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.