Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy risks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy risks?
WorriedBF
Neophyte
Member # 93260

Icon 11 posted      Profile for WorriedBF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few situations I am worried about and would like some reassurance. I'll try to make it as clear as possible.

My girlfriend and I have never had intercourse but we do engage in other things (Oral, Manual). She has always had very irregular periods so she is on Loestrin 24 and has been for about 7 or 8 months. She is a perfect pill taker, never missing or late. However, at the time the possible risks she was taking Minocycline 50 mg for her acne. Since she has been on this birth control she's had regular withdrawal bleeds that are very light spotting at the most.

The first possible risk I'm worried about happened November 4. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary. We were clothed the whole time except for when she gave me oral I had my pants off. I ejaculated and she swallowed. I also fingered her although I can't remember the order which it happened. I'm mostly worried about fingering her with precum and if that posses a significant risk. Also that night she said she had white spots in her urine but she assumed that was from swallowing my semen. Curious as to what that could be?

The next night (the 5th) we were in a hot tub not wearing anything and she gave me a handjob, and I came, but not anywhere near her vagina. Is there a risk here?

The other risk happened a couple of weeks later on the 18th and 19th. At this point she had been off the antibiotics for a little more than a week so I wasn't as concerned, but this time we took a shower together and fell asleep naked in her dorm room. I'm pretty sure my penis never came in contact with her vagina but it still makes me a little worried.

Well, the whole weekend I was with her on the 18th and 19th she had a lot of her PMS symptoms (Cramps, bloating, tender breasts, etc.) and on the 20th (Sunday) she had very, very, light spotting just that day and the next. It was 4 days earlier than she was expecting a withdrawal bleed. She had her continued symptoms throughout that week until she started her active pills the following Monday (Nov 28). Is this normal breakthrough bleeding? Or is it possibly implantation bleeding?

Her previous "period" (December 22-25) was accompanied by her typical PMS symptoms, but no bleeding. Her symptoms went away after that.

The reason why I am continuing to be so worried is because between the time of the risks and today, she has had nausea after eating certain things, headaches, backaches, tiredness, and what seems like frequent urination. She also tells me that she feels like she's getting fat. She assures me that nothing seems unusual to her and that she doesn't feel like she needs to take a test. I guess I'm just worried because I can't tell exactly what she is feeling.

Do I have a legitimate reason to be concerned?

Other notes: She has a mild lactose intolerance and has always had trouble eating certain things, she began working at a pharmacy and thinks the bending over is causing her back pain and exhaustion, and she has always had bad headaches.

Sorry for making it so long, but there's just a lot of things going through my mind and would like somebody's opinion. Thanks.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None of the sexual activities you describe pose a high risk of pregnancy. . Sperm do not live outside of the body very long. They're pretty fragile and need a specific environment in which to thrive until they get into the vagina. It's often useful to remember that sperm can't walk from one place to another, an they don't swim through water. IN future, if you are concerned about what is on your hands when you finger her, washing your hands will reduce this concern. It also removes bacteria; bacteria survive on the hands a lot longer than sperm do.

This article talks about hand washing, but it also talking about the same kind of stuff you're asking about, so take a look if you like.

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/the_simple_and_underrrated_art_of_washing_your_hands

If your girlfriend has been taking her birth control pills consistently, her risk of becoming pregnant is very low.

If you're still concerned, take a look at this:
Pregnancy Scared?

It sounds like you're concerned about reactions between her birth control pills and the cycle of antibiotics. A pharmacist is the best person to consult with this concern, as they have all the latest information about drug interactions.

A pregnancy test is the best way to determine once and for all if someone is pregnant or not, but it's completely up to your girlfriend if she wants to take one. She's the number one authority on what is going on with her body. But again, from what you've described, risk is low.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WorriedBF
Neophyte
Member # 93260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WorriedBF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I figured I was fine. Can you help me understand what the bleeding was that took place a few days before her scheduled withdrawal bleed? Is there a chance this is implantation? Or is a breakthrough bleed that has something to do with her finishing her antibiotics? It's confusing to me.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If she didn't have a pregnancy risk to begin with, then implantation can't happen. (Implantation requires a fertilized egg). Breakthrough bleeding is a common side effect to many birth control pills.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WorriedBF
Neophyte
Member # 93260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WorriedBF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It just makes me worried that I had a risk and that it was implantation bleeding. I've read the post about implantation bleeding but I still just don't know what to make of it. I really just can't think of a specific time that anything could have happened but I keep finding ways to convince myself that she's pregnant even though a.) We haven't had any kind of direct genital contact and b.) She tells me she's fine.

Am I normal to be feeling like this? It just seems like every day she describes something that sounds like a pregnancy symptom to me.

Can you try to determine what it is if I describe the bleed? She said she has always had weird periods on her birth control. It's always a dark red/brown and sometimes she spots, sometimes she just has symptoms with no bleeding and sometimes no symptoms at all. The time where I thought it could have been implantation it was 4 days early and it was a few dark red/brown spots and she had all of her normal PMS symptoms to go along with it. If it was implantation it would have had to be the potential risk we had November 4/5 like I state. (We go to different colleges so we only see each other once in awhile so that's why these "risks" happen so far from each other.)

Again, the ONLY reason I am concerned is because at the time of the potential risk she was on antibiotics. Could it possibly be that since she stopped taking the antibiotics that her body was just readjusting to the pill? I'm really confused/nervous.

WorriedBF
Neophyte
Member # 93260

I might add that if there was any accidental genital to genital contact, my penis would have just grazed her vagina for a second or two. I have never actually put my penis on or near her vagina on purpose. Does this pose a risk? I'm sorry. I've asked a lot of questions. Just a lot going on in my head.
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are so worried over things like this and don't really know why, have you considered if you are really ready for the kind of sexual activity you have been doing? Sex shouldn't make you anxious, it should be fun and enjoyable.

We can't tell you what her blood is, no. If it was worrying her, she should see a doctor, but it sounds like it isn't, and it sounds like she is getting a withdrawal bleed.

Why don't you read these articles:
Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist
Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WorriedBF
Neophyte
Member # 93260

Thanks for your reply. I've been with this girl for 14 months now and I love her to death. She's the girl I want to marry someday, but we're only 19 so pregnancy isn't an option and neither would an abortion. I really enjoyed all the sexual activity before that "scare" and when I'm in the moment now I feel relaxed because I know her birth control is working in case anything happened. It's just every once in awhile these anxiety feelings come back and make me feel this way. Every time I ask my girl about it she says she's fine so that should be enough, but for some reason it isn't for me.
WorriedBF
Neophyte
Member # 93260

Sorry to be posting again, I just have some questions that haven't been answered yet in the previous posts.

In the first post I stated that my girlfriend had white/cloudy spots in her urine after swallowing my semen. What could this be?

2nd, when a girl is pregnant, do the symptoms come and go or are they pretty much persistent? I ask because the only time my girlfriend has any symptoms such as bloating, cramping, and tender breasts is the time she should be having her withdrawal bleed, but she doesn't bleed.

3rd, relating to my first post again. How long after stopping an antibiotic would her birth control have full effectiveness again? The time that "risk" happened she had been off the antibiotic for about 7-10 days.

Finally, does implantation bleeding come with all of the symptoms of a regular period? Or no? I've heard both that they do and they don't.

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Sex shouldn't just be enjoyable during it, but AFTERWARDS too. This anxiety you are feeling doesn't sound very enjoyable to me. Just because your girlfriend is fine doesn't mean YOU are.

I have no idea what was in your girlfriend's urine.

The only reliable way to know if someone is pregnant is a pregnancy test, symptoms are different for everyone.

The person to ask about drug interactions is a pharmacist.

Implantation bleeding would not be like a regular period, no.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, white or cloudy spots in urine isn't generally a huge deal unless it's really noticeable, really strong smelling, or burning, etc. Those would indicate some problem. As per it being after swallowing semen, really a coincidence.

Per pregnancy - what any woman feels during pregnancy varies woman to woman. Sometimes there's these feelings all day, others only off and on through the day, or off and on throughout pregnancy in general, while others really none at all. Having said that, anytime your partner suspects pregnancy she really just wants to test - but a lot of what women describe during pregnancy is normal to also experience for other times, and especially for women right before during or after bleeds.

On your third question, it's really something to be asked to a pharmacist when getting the medication - but we generally suggest backing up the rest of that cycle from the last day.

Lastly, implantation bleeding is really very rare - and the first sign of pregnancy a woman would really notice is a missed period/withdrawal bleed - so if/when worried about pregnancy you can test then.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WorriedBF
Neophyte
Member # 93260

Okay! Thank you!
WorriedBF
Neophyte
Member # 93260

I'm sorry I keep coming back. I just have a lot of "what if" thoughts that keep coming up.

A withdrawal bleed, even if it's 4 days early like my girlfriends situation, means she couldn't be pregnant right?

And if was in fact an early withdrawal bleed, the "risk" we had on the 18th/19th of November (See my first post) would be mute since she had her withdrawal bleed on the 20th right?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given how much time has passed now, I'd say if you are still concerned about this, the very best answer would be a pregnancy test, like we have suggested earlier.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WorriedBF
Neophyte
Member # 93260

Okay, well when we went through all the stress of this a couple months ago she told me she didn't feel a need to take a pregnancy test because she didn't see anything out of the ordinary other than having some spotting a few days before her withdrawal bleed and the symptoms that come with PMS around the time they were supposed to.

I guess I'm not so worried about the "risk" on the 18th and 19th of November because she had bleeding the next day meaning she was already pregnant or it was just an early bleed. Right?

I just want to know for my own sake of not being concerned, do I have a viable pregnancy risk from what we've done? Just reminding that we have never had sex, we've done oral, fingering, handjobs, but I have never ejaculated anywhere near her, I have never put my penis on her vagina on purpose, if I fingered her I would have wiped precum off on my clothing prior to, and if for some reason my penis had come in contact with her vagina, I would have just accidentally grazed it for less than a second. What are my risks from this?

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

We've already stated that you didn't have a viable risk to begin with. I'm not really sure what more we can do to help you. If she doesn't want to take a pregnancy test then there really isn't anything more you can do at this point. I really want to encourage you to think about if you are really ready to be doing the kinds of sex you are having. It seems to be making you awfully nervous, despite us trying to reassure you. Have you read the Ready or Not checklist I posted above?

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

WorriedBF
Neophyte
Member # 93260

Yes, I've read the article. Thank you for all of your help. This is just something I need to get over. I really didn't think much of pregnancy as a possibility until I started googling things about it. It really had me nervous but obviously not everything on the internet is true. This sight has been great. If you're telling me I haven't had any risks from what I've told you than that should be good enough for me. I just feel like I'm receiving a lot of subliminal messages from the internet, tv, songs, etc. that are making me worried. Perhaps it's just my conscience telling me I need to back of the sexual activity for awhile. Whatever the case is, thank you for all of your help.
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Yes, we have seen how google can increase some people anxiety around this. I honestly wouldn't recommend just searching around the internet, you will just get tons of non-reliable information that will likely just make you nervous. Please browse around our site here for articles that have accurate information.

I would also think about if it is a sign from yourself that your not as ready as you think you are for certain sexual activities. When you are ready you tend to be able to deal with knowing what the consequences might be - and that means knowing pregnancy might happen from some kinds of sex and being ok with that. Even though you aren't having the kind of sex that can cause pregnancy yet, maybe you are feeling that you are moving too fast, and that outcome might be possible if you keep moving forward...

Here's another article to check out:
Whoa, There! How to Slow Down When You're Moving Too Fast

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

WorriedBF
Neophyte
Member # 93260

Thanks so much for your help! I'll be sure to come back here with any more issues I might have in the future!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.