Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » how to take a pregnancy test on seasonique?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how to take a pregnancy test on seasonique?
michaela08
Neophyte
Member # 93289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michaela08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello,
i am a recent college grad who has been on birth control for 6 years, and specifically using seasonique for the past 2 years.
recently (like the past few weeks) i have noticed extreme nipple sensitivity and my breasts are plumped/feel heavy and tender.
i'd like to take a pregnancy test, but i am not due for a period again for about 2 months. also, i have sex several times a week, so i am not sure when pregnancy may have happened, if it did.
i try to take my pills consistently but i sometimes miss one or take them late.

long story short, i'm just wondering when i should take a pregnancy test for it to be accurate? i have a GYN appointment coming up at the end of the month if all else fails. thanks [Smile]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no specific time when a pregnancy test is more accurate than others. For people who have had a specific time when their birth control has failed (such as when a condom breaks) we usually suggest about 14 days after the incident.

It's worth noting that breast tenderness in and of itself isn't generally a first sign of pregnancy. However, if it would ease your mind to take a pregnancy test, by all means go ahead and take one any time.

Your pill is most effect when you take it every day, around the same time. Some of our users set an alarm or reminder on their computer or phone for when they need to take their pill. But the fact that you didn't take your pill consistently 100% of the time doesn't make it ineffective. The effectiveness rates for real use (as opposed to ideal) are still very high.

Does this answer your question?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaela08
Neophyte
Member # 93289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michaela08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sort of!
the nipple sensitivity and breast tenderness has been happening for a while now and i don't really know what else could be causing it. i told my mother about it and she's the one who put the idea in my head since she experienced that when she first got pregnant. do you know what else may be causing it?
i will go out and buy a test, and definitely chat with my gynecologist when i see her in a couple weeks if the problem is continuing.

thanks for your help!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breast tenderness sounds like a good topic for you and your gyn to talk about...and once you take the test you'll know whether you can take pregnancy off the table or not.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both nipple sensitivity and breast tenderness can be side effects of hormonal birth control, and even though side effects are most common in the first few months of starting BC, they can happen any time. Sometimes a particular type of pill doesn't mesh with a person's body chemistry anymore, and that can result in side effects.

The other thing that might be a factor is your body's natural hormonal fluctuations - birth control doesn't totally wipe those out by any means, so that's something to consider as well. Regardless, as Robin says, this is definitely something to talk to your gyn about if you're worried. [Smile]

[ 01-03-2012, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michaela08
Neophyte
Member # 93289

could that happen even after being on the same perscription for 2 years?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could, definitely, and you can ask your gyn if they think that's a possibility.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Good point about the impact of hormones.

Here's a whole article on breasts:

Abreast: The Basics of Boobies

--------------------
Robin

michaela08
Neophyte
Member # 93289

awesome, thanks for all your help! i'll definitely bring all this up at my exam.
michaela08
Neophyte
Member # 93289

follow up question!!!

i took a pregnancy test and there is a 2nd line but it is extremely extremely faint. you can only really see it in my bathroom which has bright lighting. is this positive or negative?

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the instructions say anything about faint lines?

Is there a number you can call for the manufacturers of the test?

You might want to take another test, of a different brand, in case that one was faulty.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.