Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Rapid test results

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rapid test results
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoName     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have a really long thread going in the support group section about STI testing. Well, i really, really, and having a hard time with my anxiety, I literally cannot get through these two weeks waiting. So, I found a Planned Parenthood a couple cities away and they are open this Saturday and said I could come take a rapid result test for free and I do not need an appointment. I think I am going to do this. Can you tell me how accurate the rapid result is compared to a regular one? Also, at Planned Parenthood, would any of this go on a permanent medical record? I would rather it not. I want my boyfriend to get tested too, but I don't think he would be willing to. Any advice on how I can convince him? He said he would later on at a regular doctor's office...but it would be months from now and he isn't really worried about it at all. However, it would make me feel SOOOOO much better if he just did it now so all this obsession can be over.
Posts: 172 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would your partner be unwilling to get STI tested?

Here's a good overview of rapid HIV tests: http://aids.about.com/od/hivtesting/a/rapidhiv.htm

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoName     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just asked and he said he would, more to appease me rather than the fact he is actually worried about it. So, I guess he will be screened for HIV but nothing else for now, which is enough to help me breathe again. I am very scared though, I have never been to a Planned Parenthood. Although I don't believe abortion should be illegal, I don't know how I feel about it 100 percent. Does it make me hypocritical to use their services even though they offer abortions? What should I expect at Planned Parenthood?
Posts: 172 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know that private doctors sometimes perform terminations, too, right? And that any OB/GYN you have seen may have or may do that without you knowing that they do?

I can't tell you how to feel about your own ethics: that's going to be your call. But you don't seem to have any issues coming here for help and getting services from me, and I've worked directly in abortion, this is a site which supports abortion, and has helped some users access abortion, so.

Planned Parenthood is a system of sexual health clinics, and each clinic is really its own space. How a given clinic is run isn't something I can tell you. However, each clinic or group of clinics affiliated with Planned Parenthood have their own website, and those usually include an FAQ for new patients. Did you look at that for your branch? If not, it should answer your questions.

[ 01-12-2012, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.