Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Ovulation predictor kits

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ovulation predictor kits
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dorey56         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a few questions about opk's. If you don't test at the exact same time every day, will you miss the lh surge? For example can you test an hour and a half later one day than the day before and not miss the lh surge? Also, if you dont had to urinate too badly when you're about to test and there's ony a little urine in the cup, will the test still be effective if you tilt the cup and testing strip so that the strip is submerged enough in the urine? Thanks!!!
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you do need to take the the test at the same time every day.

And as long as you submerge the strip as directed, you're fine.

Have you bought a testing kit yet? If not, why not start by charting your cycle yourself? You can do so by taking your basal temperature and checking your cervical mucus daily. That way, you can see if you're up for the challenge of sticking to it every day before you invest in one of those tests, which can be quite pricey.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

Yes I already bought it and am using it. I ask these things because I tested at the same time today as yesterday but accidentally waited 8 minutes to check the result and the package says after 8 minutes you shouldn't interpret results so I went to test again but obviously didn't have to urinate much so only a little was in the cup and so I had to tip the cup and strip so I could submerge the strip in the urine up to the test line. The directions say to keep the strip as straight as possible so I didn't know if I could count on the result of the second test I did. Do you think I can trust the results of either test I took today? Should I try again?
Posts: 421 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dorey56
Activist
Member # 43143

do you have any thoughts? Sorry I would just like to know what to think about the test I took.
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really hard to say. Personally, I probably wouldn't trust the result if I were not able to follow the directions exactly. OPKs are notoriously finicky. The window to actually catch the LH surge is actually really small (this is why OPKs are not as accurate, on whole). You need to follow the directions exactly.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.