Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Early pill free week

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Early pill free week
lisa7122
Neophyte
Member # 93170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lisa7122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had taken to pill packets back to back and after the second week of the second pack I got some heavy breakthrough bleeding. I then took my pill free week early as it would be more convienant to have the bleeding now. I have taken 5 weeks of pills non stop then my pill free week, would protection be compromised? I will start a new pack after the pill free week as normal. I did not want to run 3 packets together as I would get too much breakthrough bleeding.
Many THanks

--------------------
L Wilson

Posts: 6 | From: Belfast | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if you stop taking the pill in the middle of an active cycle, then, indeed, you can lose the pill's effectiveness.

It's really important not to ever shorten an active pill cycle, and to recognize you can really only mess with the pill so much when it comes to trying to have bleeds only happen when you want, you know?

So. What you'll want to do if you want to be as protected as possible is to use a backup method for now, and through the time that you start the NEXT pill pack and have been on that for seven days.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisa7122
Neophyte
Member # 93170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lisa7122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had read a post on here when I goggled the topic which one of your volunteers said that it would be fine as long as you take no less than 21 active pills?
This is not something I would do at all, which is why I am concerned. The bleeding came whether I wanted it too or not.
Is there any serious medical effects of this?? As long as I use another method of contraception?

--------------------
L Wilson

Posts: 6 | From: Belfast | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, but unless I'm misunderstanding, in that second pack you did not take all 21 active pills. If I'm not understanding that correctly, please correct me.

There's no data so far to show that for people over 18, for studies as long as two years, last I checked, that taking pill packs back to back, so long as one has four withdrawal bleeds a year, poses any health risks the pill itself doesn't already pose. If you're under 18, though, or for periods of time longer than two years of doing this for those over, the answer is that we don't know yet.

Too, having breakthrough bleeding when you try and suppress menstruation is common, and not an indication of anything wrong with your body or a poor health effect. That's very typical and nothing known to suggest anything being wrong.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lisa7122
Neophyte
Member # 93170

I have taken 35 active pills in a row (5 weeks worth) the post i am referring too the girl had taken 28 and taken an early pill free week. The volunteer replied and said as long as she had taken no less than 21 active pills protection would no be compromised?

--------------------
L Wilson

Heather
Member # 3

That means no less than 21 pills per pack, not across more than one pack.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood (though for future reference, if you ever want to change how you take any medication, including the pill, it's best to always check in with your prescribing physician first), or if you read information from a volunteer that wasn't correct or sound.

So, you took less than 21 pills for that second pack, thus the problem per en effectiveness standpoint. Make sense now?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

This link may also be helpful now or for future reference: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2010/04/01/a_very_important_note_on_menstrual_suppression

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

lisa7122
Neophyte
Member # 93170

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/019747/p/1.html
This is the post I had mentioned. I hope this clarifies my confusion. Sorry

--------------------
L Wilson

lisa7122
Neophyte
Member # 93170

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/019747/p/1.html
This is the post I had mentioned. I hope this clarifies my confusion. Sorry

--------------------
L Wilson

Heather
Member # 3

Thanks for that. I can see why you got the idea you did.

Next time around, instead of looking at a post that's several years old, just ask your own question, okay? Or at least look for answers from the last year?

Again, ideally the very best bet with any medication when not taking it as directed, though, is to ask the person who prescribes that medication first and foremost.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Do you feel like you understand the scoop with this now, including how long you need to back up so you don't have a big pregnancy risk?

If not, happy to keep explaining more.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

lisa7122
Neophyte
Member # 93170

Thank you for your help. I had a chat with a local pharmacist and I'm more content now. I'm starting a new pack tomorrow and I know to use condoms for the next 7 days.

--------------------
L Wilson

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.