Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Androgen in birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Androgen in birth control
mmiiaa
Activist
Member # 89924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmiiaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

I'm about to start BC for the first time tomorrow! (Yay! Well, maybe not yay with all the scary things I hear on the internet..)

But I was wondering, I'm originally being put on it because of acne. And then for pregnancy prevention. But the one I'm about to be on is Loestrin24 (1/20) which is the lowest dose. OBGYN said it would be good to start on, and hopefully clear up my skin.

I researched on the internet, it has the highest androgen level out there, and that it has the possibility to cause more acne and make my hair fall out?? (Especially if I lean towards androgenity? I don't think I do, but what does that mean?)

My dermatologist said it would be fine too. But all this reading on the internet is freaking me out. My sister said she hopes I go bald. I cried a little, ahaa..

I just am not sure what this androgen thing means. They said it doesn't happen to the majority, but when I read reviews on sites, it seems like everyone and their mamas have had problems.
On the plus side, a friend of mine has been on it for 3 months, and she loves it.
..Should I just not start it?

Thank you for all the help!

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi mmiiaa,

The best person to talk to about these concerns would be the OBGYN who prescribed it. It's unlikely they would have prescribed it if they believed the negative side-effects could outweigh the positive though. Too, not everyone reacts the same way to birth control. If you do experience negative side-effects, you can try different pills until you find one that works for you. There are also other methods of birth control if the pill doesn't work for you: Birth Control Bingo!

Besides that, I'd advise you to take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt. A lot of people can post whatever they want without care for accurate sources or the fact that anecdotal evidence isn't always reliable. Here's some more information on finding accurate sexual health info online: Legit or Unfit? Finding Safe, Sound Sex Educators & Support Online.

So, about whether to start tomorrow or not: it's really up to you and how comfortable you are with the idea. You could wait until you talk to OBGYN some more, you could call your pharmacist and see what they know about this pill's side-effects, or you could start and try it out. It's totally your call.

Hope this helps!

[ 12-17-2011, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: -Firefly- ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.