Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy from dry sperm?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy from dry sperm?
The Flowers of the Dead
Neophyte
Member # 89526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Flowers of the Dead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About a month ago, me and my boyfriend were having some foreplay. He ejaculated a tiny tiny bit (like maybe 4 drops), but I wiped it off with his shirt. He touched the dampish wet spot on his shirt, but then he wiped his finger off on his shirt, pants, the bed, etc. About 15 minutes later, he fingered me. It was completely dry by then. Is is possible that I'm pregnant? I heard that dry sperm is dead sperm.

I haven't gotten any symptoms except I feel hungry all the time. I get this feeling in my throat only (I feel hunger in my throat and my stomach, I know weird). So it could be nausea or hunger, but it doesn't feel like "real hunger" or "real nausea". However, this has happened to me before, so I think it's a false hunger. Not only that, but I only get "hungry" when I think about possibly being pregnant. Like I said, the false hunger has happened before (about a year ago when I thought I might've been). So I think that this only happens when I'm extremely stressed out about it, so I get like phantom pregnancy symptoms. Not only that, but if I don't eat when I get this false hunger feeling, nothing happens. No intense stomach grumbling like what would usually happen if I was hungry for real. Which makes me think even more that it's fake. So could it be fake? Because it does only happen when I get freaked out about it.

I did get my period about 2 weeks ago (it came on time, except it was about a few days early). It was a pretty heavy period, but no clotting. I heard that pregnant women can get periods.

I've had no symptoms, and I did get my period, but I just get really paranoid and stressed sometimes, which probably leads to the whole "false hunger". And is dry sperm really dead sperm? Is it possible I'm pregnant?

--------------------
Love the life you live

Posts: 11 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, it doesn't sound like you've had a pregnancy risk. It takes direct genital contact to create a pregnancy, and it doesn't sound like you had that.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flowers of the Dead
Neophyte
Member # 89526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Flowers of the Dead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard though that it is possible to get pregnant that way. I also went online and found out that I was ovulating. I know that people say dry sperm is dead sperm, and that they're incapable of doing their job once it's dry or once they're wiped because they're fragile, but is it possible?

I also forgot to mention that 2 days after the day it happened,I took the emergency contraceptive.

--------------------
Love the life you live

Posts: 11 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flowers of the Dead
Neophyte
Member # 89526

I heard though that it is possible to get pregnant that way. I also went online and found out that I was ovulating. I know that people say dry sperm is dead sperm, and that they're incapable of doing their job once it's dry or once they're wiped because they're fragile, but is it possible?

I also forgot to mention that 2 days after the day it happened,I took the emergency contraceptive.

--------------------
Love the life you live

The Flowers of the Dead
Neophyte
Member # 89526

I'm sorry, I accidentally posted that twice by clicking the button twice. I'm sorry.

--------------------
Love the life you live

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sperm aren't wet or dry: I think often confusing semen with sperm cells only makes all of this more confusing.

Once semen has dried, sperm cells are no longer motile: they don't have a way to get around, nor a fluid to protect them.

To boot, an online tool can't tell you when you were ovulating unless it asks for WAY more information than when you've had periods.

Sounds like some of the issue here is bad or poor information overload.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flowers of the Dead
Neophyte
Member # 89526

Thanks for telling me. I really appreciate it, but just because it's no longer mobile, does it mean that it can still impregnate someone? Once semen is dry (I heard from many places, including from doctors too), that the sperm can no longer move because they need to swim in liquid. So does that make it "dead" exactly? Not only that, but can it be remoistened? I know they survive for days in a vagina, but what if it's dry beforehand? Then inserted into one? Wouldn't it still be "dead"? Americanpregnancy.org stated all of that, but I'm still not sure. All of the posts on here about dry semen states that the sperm is dead once the semen is dry.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order for a pregnancy to occur, sperm cells have to get to the fallopian tubes. In order to do that, they need some way to get there, and semen is that way. They can't just walk on their own or hitch a ride. [Smile]

It's not just, either, that they need "a" fluid. They need semen, specifically, for motility, but also to balance the environment of the vagina so sperm cells can stay perky, to keep those cells fully intact, etc.

Americanpregnancy.org is an antichoice organization which also funds and runs crisis pregnancy centers, whose business it is to misinform people about pregnancy by trade. Not the place to go for sound information about anything, even if some of it isn't wrong.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flowers of the Dead
Neophyte
Member # 89526

Sorry for replying late! My email didn't get the notification that someone replied.

So they need semen specifically to impregnate someone? So it's true then, that dry semen is unable to impregnate a woman? Thank you. [Smile]

Also, I've gotten my period for 2 months now, they were a couple of days early than the expected date each time, but I'm not that worried. My period is usually weird, especially when I'm stressed. The first time it went on for a week but it was pretty light. I just got my second one, and it lasted for the same amount except it was heavy and there was clotting. So I think I'm okay. [Smile]

By the way, I heard that there are rumors about women getting their periods during pregnancy (like the heavy/clotting sort of periods), but everyone says those are myths since if it was clotting and heavy that would mean that it was shedding the wall, which the baby is implanted in. I know it's sort of common for women to bleed during pregnancy, but heavy/clotting and at the regular time of a period would be a period right? Not only that, but that suggests the shedding of the wall which the baby needs or else it would be shedded. Also, the blood is the nourishment for the baby too right?

--------------------
Love the life you live

The Flowers of the Dead
Neophyte
Member # 89526

*Correction

My first period afterwards wasn't "pretty light" as I had stated. It was actually quite normal, it just had no clotting. So it was a tiny bit lighter than usual, but not pretty light. Sorry about that. It was just a tiny bit lighter than my normal period and without clotting.

--------------------
Love the life you live

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.