Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Hepatitis C risk- Please answer immediately!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hepatitis C risk- Please answer immediately!
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EXTREMELY WORRIED- HEATHER PLEASE HELP!
I went in for routine HIV testing last week and my HIV test came back negative but I tested positive for the hepatitis C antibody test. I'm terrified and going through extreme anxiety right now. I am not sexually active in the sense that my boyfriend and I do not have any sexual intercourse. About four years ago I did have unprotected anal sex with my ex boyfriend; realized that it was the worst idea ever and stopped. Is there any way that I could have been infected by the virus 5 years ago and it would not show any symptoms until now? I have had all my liver enzymes tested because I have colon inflammation and all my liver enzymes (AST ALT) were well within range. My doctor said that it could be a false positive because I have hypothyroidism and sometimes the antibody test comes back false positive due to autoimmune diseases. I would really appreciate your help if you could give me any information on my risk and if I have put my current partner at risk if I am infected.

Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, no yelling at me, okay? Thanks.

It sounds, too, like you and your doctor already had a conversation about this, right? What did the doctor suggest: a retest in a little while, I assume? Did the doctor voice concern about it being likely to be accurate, or did the conversation about it potentially being a false positive come up because they felt it most likely was?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68210 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about that! It was not yelling, it was more of a cry for help [Frown]

The doctor said that there is a possibility that it could be a false positive but since he is my family doctor he does not know about my sexual history, no one does as in my religion it is not easily accepted. He is now telling me to come in first thing tomorrow and get re-tested by more advanced and specific tests. My current boyfriend is also losing it because he thinks that i could have put him at risk- is it possible for me to transmit it to him if all we engaged in is oral sex (me giving him fellatio)/mutual masturbation and kissing?

Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you know by now that if you post, we'll answer you. [Smile]

So, it sounds to me like no matter what else, you need to find yourself a sexual healthcare provider. Did you know that in California, you have a TON of great sexual health clinics serving young people and a state program that pays for some of that healthcare? Let's talk about getting you a provider you can be honest with okay? For now, but just in general. You can't get good healthcare if you're not honest about factors that can impact your health.

All the same, it still sounds like your doctor feels this is most likely a false positive, and knowing you had STI risks doesn't seem like it would likely change that. So, let's have you follow up like he suggested and see what happens, okay?

I think we've talked before about that oral sex poses STI risks, and the only way to reduce those risks while engaging in it is to use latex barriers. But with Hep C, specifically, there is not, to my knowledge, an association between oral sex and that transmission, most likely because Hep C is believed to only be transmitted when blood is present. While abrasions and bleeding are not uncommon with anal sex, especially the way a lot of people engage in it, that's very uncommon with fellatio.

But in terms of him losing it, here's the deal: did he also choose not to practice safer sex, too? If so, he needs to take some responsibility here: you both chose to take STI risks if you both chose to engage in fellatio unprotected. Instead of freaking, his best bet -- like yours -- is to see a sexual healthcare provider and get tested for STIs, then, moving forward, to use barriers for any vaginal, anal or oral sex to reduce those risks, especially with new partners and/or where everyone involved has not been recently tested.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68210 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Thanks for the hopeful response, Heather. I'm going to get my blood testing done tomorrow and let you know what my doctor says. Just one last question- Is there a risk with deep kissing? I'm not sure if I've ever had bleeding gums while kissing him but I guess it might be a possibility. And if so, for transmission to occur would it only need to be my blood somehow going into his mouth or would he also have to have an open sore?

Let me know your thoughts.

Heather
Member # 3

Kissing is not associated with Hep C. Really, even sexual transmission is believed to be infrequent.It is primarily understood to be transmitted by needle sharing and other very direct blood exposure like that.

Why don't I give you some good links about Hepatitis C, okay? But I'd suggest you only take a half hour or so tonight to read them, then try and walk away from this for now. Getting yourself all upset about something that may not be an issue just doesn't seem sound to me.

• http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001329/
• http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.