Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Morning sickness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Morning sickness
parrot
Activist
Member # 29259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for parrot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I’m past the age for this site…at least I’m assuming I am considering it’s called ScarleTEEN, but teens may have these questions too. So here’s my situation...

After reading on this site multiple times that you have a slight chance of getting pregnant the day of or the day after your period ends, my finace (who is 26) and I have decided to have unprotected sex within 24 hours after her period ends. This has been going on for probably 6 months. And after reading on here many times you can’t have a regular period while you’re pregnant, I haven’t been worried until now.

Her periods always last around 6 days and occur every 25 days or so. And she can always pinpoint a three-day time period of when her period will come. So this month her period came on the 4th and lasted until around the 9th or 10th I believe. According to her, it was a normal period…but then again, would an abnormal period last that long? Anyway, today she informed me she’s been having morning sickness the last three days. Sunday (the 13th) she developed what is believed to be a migraine and later threw up that night. This past Monday and Tuesday...well I believe she told me she kinda felt better Monday but didn’t eat anything Tuesday or today (Wednesday). She ate Monday evening and didn’t have any problem. She hasn’t thrown up since Sunday night, but she says she almost did Tuesday.

So, now I’m confused and worried. I understand every unprotected intercourse is risk for STI. But is it possible to be pregnant after unprotected sex within 24 hours of a normal period? Is it possible to experience morning sickness a week after unprotected sex? Let me just add that I never ejaculated inside her. I always pulled out before I ejaculated...although I do have a problem with “leaking.” I guess the correct term for that is pre-cum.

With this situation, I feel that either a) it’s possible for morning sickness to occur a week after a pregnancy risk, b) it’s possible to have a normal period while you’re already pregnant, or c) this “morning sickness” may not be morning sickness but just related to something else. Please help me dissect this situation and solve any worries she and I have. Thank you!

Posts: 85 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our readerbase tends to be 15-25. It's all good. [Smile]

Just so it's clear, there is a risk of pregnancy ANY time most people with uteruses engage in intercourse. That's true for every day of the cycle, though there are times when it is less likely and times when it is more likely. When it's more or less likely for her is something she can only accurately know if she does daily fertility charting, does that for at least a few months, and learns how to analyze that charting.

So, yes, it is absolutely possible for pregnancy to occur from intercourse on day 6 of someone's cycle. For someone who ovulates early in their cycle -- and she very well might with cycles as short as 25 days -- that could be a time with a very high risk of resulting in pregnancy. However, morning sickness starting when a pregnancy has barely even begun (it takes around 5-7 days for pregnancy to occur, and then another five or more days for hormonal changes to start) is not very likely for most people.

Periods differ in how long flow lasts, but five days of flow is very average.

You did back up with withdrawal, so that makes the risk lower, but I don't see any reason for her to just not go ahead and take a pregnancy test. Then neither of you has to wonder.
I'd just check in: using only withdrawal, especially if it's not used perfectly is not highly effective at preventing pregnancy. Natural family planning only can be when it's really done right: just counting days is often ineffective.

So, assuming you two aren't trying for pregnancy and don't want one soon, I'd suggest you think about more reliable ways of preventing pregnancy.

[ 11-16-2011, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
parrot
Activist
Member # 29259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for parrot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is when we use protection, it doesn't do it for us anymore. We usually have sex again about halfway between periods, using protection. And it just doesn't feel the same with as it does without. I'm not saying we quit using protection then and go unprotected, we just always look forward to her getting off her period to have unprotected sex.

Now, you mentioned for her to go ahead and take an EPT, but should she wait until after a missed period to do so or if she took one now, would it read accurately? And also, just so I understand...IF she's pregnant, then it would have had to happen this last time right? Since she had a normal period earlier this month, she probably wasn't already pregnant...right?

She loves those "I was pregnant and didn't know it" TV shows and she got me watching them with her. So, with what I saw on there, that has me worried too....

Posts: 85 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By protection, what method of contraception are you talking about? Do you mean none of the other available methods have worked out for either of you?

As I understand it, you two are concerned about a pregnancy risk that happened before her last period, not after. Do I have that right, or am I misunderstanding?

(And oh yeah, don't watch those shows. I mean, I don't mean to tell you what to watch, but if you don't want to find yourselves panicking about pregnancy, those shows are a very poor choice.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
parrot
Activist
Member # 29259

By protection I mean condoms...Trojan to be specific. [Smile] I would honestly like to use the thin ones, but I've read so many negative things about those. I'd hate to have one rip right in the middle of her cycle....

We are worried about a pregnancy risk that occurred after her last period. But this unprotected sex has happened a day after every period for the past 6 months or so. I was just asking if those instances should be concerns too since she had her period this month. In other words, up until this last pregnancy risk, are there other concerns since she had this month's period? Am I making sense or am I just making it worse? lol

Heather
Member # 3

What have you heard that was negative about thinner condoms? From a sexual healthcare person's standpoint, what I know to be the biggest differences between those and the thicker are that a) people tend to enjoy them more, so are happier using them, and b) they create less friction, which makes them breaking less likely than with thicker condoms. So, it's a box of win in my view. [Smile]

But, of course, condoms, withdrawal and natural family planning aren't the only options in preventing pregnancy, either. There are a whole bunch of other methods, including the birth control pill, IUDs, implants, the works.

If the potential risk was after her last period (sorry, I did misunderstand), then you will want to wait to test until, and if, her next period is late or missed.

But if the flow she had last time seemed like a normal period to her, it likely was, and that means that for any risks before this month, you're both most likely in the clear.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

parrot
Activist
Member # 29259

Ok, so wait until her next period is late or a no-show. I think she's already planned it to occur around the last week of the month, so we'll see. She was having the headache Monday and someone at work told her it sounded like she was pregnant...and now the morning nausea. Who knows. Honestly, I hope she's not. We have a wedding coming up in February...and if she wants to get pregnant AFTER the wedding, then so be it. [Smile] But I hope not til then.

Regarding the thinner condoms, I've read multiple posts from personal standpoints that they ripped, don't get them, they rip too easy, etc.

Thanks again!

Heather
Member # 3

Anecdotal reports -- not solid studies -- of EVERY method of contraception will always have failures. That also includes condoms. All kinds of condoms CAN rip, so there will be reports of that from users of every kind.

However, sound study has found that thinner condoms rip LESS frequently than thicker, which isn't surprising, given the physics. But more importantly, the main reason any type of condom most often rips is that people aren't keeping them lubricated enough, and using an additional lubricant with them. Insufficient lubrication is the most common reason for rips and breaks.

If you want more of that info and don't have access to academic journals, Consumer Reports is always a great resource for any product, including condoms. Here's their page on condoms: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/shopping/december-2009/sex-and-the-supermarket/top-condoms/index.htm

But I'd also be happy to talk to either of you about all the other methods of contraception if you'd like, too. So, if you really want to ditch condoms, you still have other very effective options.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Just noticed this abstract is pretty comprehensive on this issue even in just the abstract: http://journals.lww.com/aidsonline/Fulltext/2001/01260/An_evaluation_of_a_thicker_versus_a_standard.15.aspx

There's also this: http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1828.html

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.