Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Discharge?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Discharge?
Yesterday's gone.
Neophyte
Member # 75329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yesterday's gone.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been having weird discharge lately, Im not exactly sure if its normal or not.
Its usually white, or sometimes sort of transparent, and when it dries in, its usually dry and crackled, looking white or yellow.
I would have a moderate amount, more then I remember before to be honest, I sometimes feel it coming out, and I wouldnt have to wear a pad for it but still, it just seems like their shouldnt be that much.
I had this last week, with a strong smell, so I bought some medication thinking it was a yeast infection, and then I had my period so I didnt know if it worked or not. But now I've had discharge, it didnt have a very strong odour yesterday, but today it did, and its not as strong as before, but it smells sort of similar.
My mam says its nothing to worry about, just keep myself clean and look after myself for the next week and i'll be grand but im finding it hard to believe her...help?

Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing to be really cautious about is that while it may have been a yeast infection, it may also not have been. So unless you've had them before and know for sure that's what it is you want to see a doctor not just get something to use for yeast infections because if it's not one it can actually make the problem worse. Best thing to do is to check in with your doctor if you suspect a problem (and a strong/bad odor can mean an infection.) See this: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3428 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yesterday's gone.
Neophyte
Member # 75329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yesterday's gone.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, its just my mam refuses to go to the doctor, she doesnt think theres something wrong with me and she doesnt want to waste what little money we have on going to the doctor.
What exactly could I have?
I understand you cant tell me, but the possiblities? I havent engaged in any sexual activities so it couldnt be an sti..
Could it be serious?

Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you take a look around to see if there's a free clinic in your area? Even if not an STI, it could be signs of a yeast infection - but may also not be. So you don't want to treat for something unless you know.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3428 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yesterday's gone.
Neophyte
Member # 75329

Yeah, well I could try find out. My mam said she wanted to wait untill my next period, and if itd still there then we would go to the doctor.
But overall she said that its normal, and that even if it is an infection, I shouldnt worry because its not an STI, so I could just get antibiotics and i would be fine again, is that true?
Its really lowering my confidence and making me feel crap about myself.
She also says its nothing to worry about unless its a funny colour and a really offensive smell.
Mine is just yellow now, and it is...smelly but it isnt really offensive but it still smells you know?
So I just want to know if im going to be okay, Its really effecting me. I've had it for weeks now.

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

If it is an infection and it's not treated, then it could get worse - and how it gets worse symptoms-wise depends on what it is caused by. Have a look at this: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

Especially considering it's been weeks already I'd check into those clinics in your area and see if there's one close.

--------------------

Yesterday's gone.
Neophyte
Member # 75329

I have another question, I thought the vagina was a self-cleaning organ though?
I mean, what if I just kept maximum hygiene and ate healthily, shouldnt it go away? Considering, I wouldnt think its worse then a yeast infection or something, since it cant be an STI...

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An infection has nothing to do with cleanliness, just because you have an infection does not mean you are dirty or have bad hygiene. As well, cleaning yourself, or your vagina cleaning itself, will not make an infection go away. Most infections that are not STIs are an imbalance of the bacteria in your vagina and medication is needed to bring it back to normal. The longer you wait the harder it is to treat, because the good bacteria will be more and more outnumbered by the bad bacteria. It can also get rather painful and/or itchy depending on what it is.

I'm suspecting you might have BV - which generally has a creamy greyish-white, odorous vaginal discharge. Yeast infections tend to be very itchy and painful with an almost cottage cheese like discharge. A doctor is needed for diagnosis and medication.

The STI Files: Bacterial Vaginosis
Yeast Infections

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 870 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yesterday's gone.
Neophyte
Member # 75329

Okay...Is BV serious?
I mean, is it something I need to be extremely concerned about?
I could just go to the doctor and get the medication I need and I'll be okay again right?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BV is a very common infection and no, it doesn't tend to be serious. It tends to be more of an inconvenience than anything else. You do want to get it treated, but it's usually very easy to treat.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yesterday's gone.
Neophyte
Member # 75329

Well I finally convinced my mam, shes bringing me to the doctor on tuesday.
So can I ask what to expect at the doctors? I've never gone for an issue down there, and im sure they'll have to take a look or whatever.
Which im extremely uncomfortable with, but I'd rather go and get this sorted, I feel relieved to know that it can be treated.

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great news!

It is better if the doctor has a look; just to make sure it really is a yeast infection. If you feel uncomfortable, it might be best to let the doctor know when you first meet them and let them know if you start feeling uncomfortable at any point. Any good doctor will be doing everything they can to make your visit as easy and calm for you as possible.

It's always good to get into the habit of going for these type of exams to take the very best care you can of your reproductive health. Medical practitioners generally recommend having a check up for your reproductive health every three years.

I understand that you aren't going to a gynecologist, but this pieve may help you with know what to expect: Your First Gynecologist Visit.

I also found you a couple of threads about what healthcare practitioners usually approach this:

What this User's Doctor Should have Done

What Should I Expect?

Just let me know if any of those links don't work as my computer is really playing up.

[ 10-30-2011, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yesterday's gone.
Neophyte
Member # 75329

Thanks for the links, they worked fine for me [Smile]
I feel a lot better now knowing that i'm going to the doctor and this will all finally be sorted out.
I am still a little bit afraid of going, i'll be quite embarressed, but i've just been thinking about how i'll finally be able to get rid of whatever I have and I can be comfortable again!
So thanks for the help [Smile]

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

No reason to be embarrassed, honestly. It happens sometimes, and the doctor's not going to be embarrassed to help <3

--------------------

Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, the doctor will be used to seeing vulvas and yeast infections all the time. It's so super common. [Smile]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.