Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Infection or pregnancy? late period?? what is going on????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Infection or pregnancy? late period?? what is going on????
Winky2895
Neophyte
Member # 82968

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Winky2895     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My period has been about 2 weeks late now. Ive never been on birth control and my period has never really been regular, but im pretty sure its never been this late. Ive had sex before but i find it really hard to believe that im pregnant but then again i cant be positive. I havent taken a pregnancy test yet basically because i cant really get to a place where you can buy them without my parents knowing. Lately ive been having a lot of discharge. I usually have discharge but never as much as ive been having now. At first i was having little spots of brown discharge every couple of days that went on for about a week, but now its just white sticky discharge. The amount i get varies from day to day. Ive been thinking that the reason my period is so late is because ive been sick for the past week (sore throat, stuffy nose, and headaches) and havent been getting a lot of sleep, but is it normal for my period to be this late? Ive also been thinking that i might have a yeast infection because of all of the discharge and its sometimes a little itchy down there. Also ive been getting a little pain on my right side right next to my right hip bone. Ive had problems with this before and the last time i noticed it the doctors said i had an ovarian cyst that burst. Im not sure if its that again or if its because of all this weird stuff going on. This may be really confusing so i apologize for that but its confusing me too. I honestly dont know what to think or do and im starting to get worried. I just want my period to come!
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since your last period, have you had the kinds of sex which can result in pregnancy? If so, was any birth control at all -- including condoms or withdrawal -- used, and if so, were they used properly?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winky2895
Neophyte
Member # 82968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winky2895     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know for a fact that he didn't "go" inside of me, so I'm not really sure if that's a form of withdrawal. But I do know there's always precum to worry about, so I guess it could have resulted in pregnancy if the precum would have gone inside me. He doesn't really precum a lot which is why it's so unusual that all of this is going on. Is it possible it's something else? Like do the symptoms fit with anything else?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since he didn't ejaculate, then yes, we'd figure that withdrawal was the method of contraception used here. In perfect use -- where someone doesn't ejaculate and moves away from your genitals way before they do -- that's estimated to be 96% effective. In typical use, 73%. So, yeah, even in perfect use, like all methods of preventing pregnancy, it's not 100%, so there still are risks.

If you two have been engaging in any kind of genital sex without clothes, I'd want to make sure your symptoms aren't about an infection. have you ever been checked for infections? You would have to be honest and tell your providers you're engaging in some kinds of sex for them to likely even know to test you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winky2895
Neophyte
Member # 82968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winky2895     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I've never been checked for infections. I was going to tell my mom that I wanted to go see a doctor for a possible infection, but I wanted to make sure I got my period and wasn't pregnant before I went so my parents wouldn't find out in that way. I'm trying not to worry about it because I know stressing will just make my period come even later. Do you think the best thing to do right now is take a pregnancy test or wait a little longer?
Winky2895
Neophyte
Member # 82968

Or should I go to a health care provider? I'm just confused with all of this.
Heather
Member # 3

That's okay, happy to help you sort it out.

I'd say ideally it sounds like you want to start with a healthcare provider, and then you can also get a pregnancy test, while you're there.

Legally, in the states, any information you give to a provider about your sex life is protected as private unless you give permission to tell your parents, excepting things where your life seems to be at risk or laws are being broken. You also have the option of seeing a provider without your parents at all if you like.

But I also don't know what your relationship with them is like. But, if you want to talk to your mother about this, period, and think that'd help you with all of this, that's great. It sounds like you could probably also use to talk to someone close to you about how you're feeling about having a sex life of some kind right now: sounds like there are some heavy issues for you to work through.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Winky2895
Neophyte
Member # 82968

Alright, sounds like a good idea. Thank you for your help

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.