Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Levonelle (morning after pill) stopping combined pill working?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Levonelle (morning after pill) stopping combined pill working?
cleo
Neophyte
Member # 15791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After missing quite a few pills during my last cycle, I took my week break and then started again as normal. After taking the pill (I'm on Marvelon) for two days, I had unprotected sex. I then took the morning after pill (Levonelle, so progesterone-only) the next day. Once I had been taking Marvelon for seven days, including the day I took Levonelle, I stopped using condoms, assuming I was protected.

Now I'm worried that I'm at risk of pregnancy, because the instructions state that you should take your pill plus use condoms for seven days AFTER using Levonelle to be protected. I feel very stupid. How likely is it that Levonelle has affected my normal pill? Could it have stopped it from working?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The emergency contraceptive won't override your pill in any way. It's just adding some hormones, not taking anything away.

In other words, it sounds like any risks you had here were no likely any more than with your pill used alone, period.

But, if you know you do miss pills sometimes, your better bet might be to just get in the habit of always backing up with condoms, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
Neophyte
Member # 15791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, thanks. It's a long story, but I wasn't actually having sex during the cycle before, so was not too worried about missing pills at that point - silly, I know. Since starting to have sex again I have not missed any pills, so am pretty sure all is OK. Thanks so much for your quick reply.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.