Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » confused about cold sores

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: confused about cold sores
laudividni987456321
Activist
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laudividni987456321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, just had a few questions about the transmission of cold sores. I'm sorry if this sounds really ignorant...but i just need some straight up info from a reliable source.

1) is it actually possible to tranfer it via money? e.g. checkout girl has a coldsore-touches it-hands me my money which i touch-then i touch my face?

2) if someone with a cold sore kisses your cheek (not super close to mouth) is it possible to get it like that?
or if someone has just kissed someone with one then they kiss you on the cheek is that possible?

i've read that you shouldnt kiss new babies if you have a cold sore, so i'm just wondering if that applies to adults too? and if not why not?

Posts: 130 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Infants have brand new immune systems: it's much easier for infants and younger people to catch all kinds of things that healthy people who are older (though it reverses as you get into the senior years).

In general, in life, we want to wash our hands regularly to protect ourselves from all kinds of things, including viruses.

However, herpes is most often acquired through fairly direct contact from someone with a sore or something someone with a sore has put ON that sore ( like a drinking glass or toothbrush). I know that when I worked as a cashier, I never rubbed the money on my face, so I don't see anyone needing to worry about that (especially since then you'd need to rub it on your face, too).

But with someone with an active sore kissing you on the face, then yes, that can pose a risk of transmission. With the this-person-kisses-this-one-then-you you're getting outside a direct path there, so again, that's not likely.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67046 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laudividni987456321
Activist
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laudividni987456321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so if someone with one kissed me on the cheek, would a cold sore appear where they kissed me? or on my lip?

also..i just want reassurance on this, that washing clothes well will definitely kill the virus (and anyothers lurking in there)?

Posts: 130 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, washing clothes will definitely kill the virus.

If someone with a cold sore kissed you on the cheek, and you were infected with the virus as a result, it would most likely appear on your lips, just because that's where cold sores usually show up.

[ 10-01-2011, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5649 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laudividni987456321
Activist
Member # 44555

so with the cheek thing, if someone with a coldsore kissed you on the forehead would that have the same transmission?

Also, if an area like the ankle came in contact with a straw end that hand been used by someone with a cold sore would that pose any risk? Also, if in that scenario that ankle came into contact with areas like the inner thigh/genital region, less than 30 from original straw contacts would that pose a risk? and would the virus live in bedsheets that are staying on the bed for now?

Thank you for answering my questions

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking about faces and talking about ankles like they were similar doesn't work in this context.

Herpes is about transmission via mucous membranes. Your face has several: your eyes, nose and mouth. Cheeks and foreheads are close to them. Ankles on the other hand, aren't near any. Sure, an ankle can get moved around, but still, not the same.

Linens and things are not known to be a transmission issue with HSV.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67046 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laudividni987456321
Activist
Member # 44555

thank you.

i've heard it can live on towels when they are damp enough....im just wondering, if those conditions were applied to another object, shoes/boots/anything really, so that they are warm/damp enough....would the virus live for more than a week?

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
s Heather said: Linens and things are not known to be a transmission issue with HSV.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3415 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laudividni987456321
Activist
Member # 44555

if you dont have one, but some does, and you kiss them On the cheek not overly close to mouth, is that a major risk?

I couldnt see properly or not because they have a moustache but if they did is this a risk?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.