Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » painful sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: painful sex
dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dancrgrl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! So I've been experiencing pain during sex for quite some time, and it's getting incredibly frustrating. I use lube, I try to make sure I'm as aroused as possible, I'm very comfortable with my boyfriend, and I've spoken to my gyno about the problem (and there does not appear to be any health problem that is contributing to this). For a while, I had problems with the pill and vaginal dryness, but the lube hasn't really helped with that. The most pain is with insertion and then after a few seconds things get more comfortable, but I'd like to experience more pleasure from sex...not just ensuring that things feel comfortable. My boyfriend is very understanding and he's tried hard to ensure I'm comfortable and aroused and whatnot, but this continues to be a problem. We've also both read the Ow to Wow article on this site. I feel like at this point because I anticipate the pain that it's really all in my head. How can I go about trying to remedy this?

Thank you for your help!

--------------------
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing" -Helen Keller

Posts: 76 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, they've ruled out infections and everything else? How long has this been going on for (I don't recall you mentioning in in years previous)? Do you remember when it started? has it only been with this particular partner, and if so, was what's painful now ever not painful with this partner?

Have you yet tried taking a serious break from the kinds of sex that cause pain, sticking only to what feels really good? Then maybe working up slowly and gradually to those other kinds, only moving forward with them if they're feeling a lot better to you?

Also, with the lube, are you always using plenty before you even get started?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Hi Heather—the past few times I’ve been to my gyno we’ve discussed this and she hasn’t even mentioned infection (though I’ve always had normal tests come back).

I do remember when this mostly became an issue. A couple of years ago when I was really having serious issues with the pill (mood swings, absolutely no sex drive whatsoever) is really when I remember this starting to become an issue…and now I think my body is kind of just trained to expect pain. My current boyfriend is the only partner I’ve had intercourse with, so I really don’t have any frame of reference. Though, I do remember fingering being a bit painful with a previous partner, so that’s something I’ve avoided with my boyfriend now since it’s something I don’t really enjoy. And when my boyfriend and I first started having sex (which was about five years ago), at first it was painful and then I do remember a good chunk of time that it did feel good, and then again when I started having problems with birth control is when I remember this issue really starting.

I haven’t really tried taking a break from sex…I feel like things always just kind of end up there. But I suppose that’s a good way to kind of “retrain” my mind, right?

With the lube, we use plenty right before we start having intercourse (some on the outside of the condom, a drop on the inside)…and then I always intend to add more as we go along—by the end I know I definitely need it, but I’m always hesitant to stop the rhythm of things. My boyfriend always tells me to let him know when I need more, but I always just let it go.

Thanks again!

--------------------

Posts: 76 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you feel like your gynecologist has really investigated this for you? In other words, when you've talked about it, has she asked lots of questions, talked about certain tests or approaches? Also, what "normal tests" are you talking about? have you ever asked for STI tests? If not, it's likely they haven't been done.

Something I'm hearing in your last two paragraphs is that it sounds like you don't feel very able to speak up for yourself around what you want and need when it comes to sex and your comfort, whether that's about adding lube, or about things "just going" to certain kinds of sex (which really can't happen: sexual activities are things people initiate and choose, not things our bodies do by themselves). Does that sound right to you?

If it does, have you had in-depth conversations with your partner about that and about what does and doesn't feel good for you? Do you feel like there's anything, on your end, that is keeping you from that kind of assertiveness?

[ 06-27-2011, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Sorry, just realized I didn't ask something else: are you also having pain with speculum exams when you're seeing your gynecologist?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

I love my gynecologist, but this definitely is something she hasn’t fully investigated…she’s mentioned adding more lube, trying different lubes, and just trying to relax overall, but not much else. And no, I’ve never asked her for STI tests.

I hear what you’re saying about it seeming like I’m not able to speak up for myself, so let me try to explain a little further. My boyfriend and I are very comfortable talking about sex and what we both need/want before/during/from sex, so I have no problem talking about these things with him…and in fact, it is something that we’ve spent a lot of time discussing over the past couple of years. I think one thing that might hold me back a little is that I don’t want him to miss out on things he enjoys just because I’m experiencing some pain (even though I know perfectly well that he’s willing to do anything to help me feel more comfortable).

I wouldn’t say I’m necessarily experiencing pain with speculum exams…they’re certainly not comfortable…maybe a little twinge of pain in the beginning then just discomfort? It’s definitely not the level of pain I experience in the beginning of intercourse.

And by the way, I finally went off the pill…after 3 years of researching IUDs, talking about it to my doctor, and convincing myself, I finally got the Paraguard IUD a week ago. So I’ve been hoping that being off hormones helps with some of the vaginal dryness issues and stuff, but I think at this point that’s only a part of the problem.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

So, here's what I'd suggest. Let's have you try making some adjustments, and if you don't see any improvement in the next month or two after making them, I'd ask your GYN for a referral to another GYN who specializes in vulval/vaginal pain. It sounds clearly like your GYN doesn't, because I'd expect a lot more than a lube suggestion if you keep reporting pain, and keep having it even after adding lube.

However, since you're not having the same kind of pain at all with speculum exams, that does suggest to me that this likely isn't a general pain condition, but something about the way you're engaging in sex or the dynamics of your sex life, specifically. In other words, it sounds to me like this is probably about changing approaches and behaviors rather than needing medical treatment.

So, I want to check in with you about a few things, and talk to you a not more in-depth about one of these issues if you're willing.

You say your boyfriend puts a lot of effort into making sure you're aroused first before intercourse. But ARE you actually feeling very aroused, before AND during intercourse (i sounds like you're only reporting pain with intercourse, but if you're having it with other things, too, let me know)?

If and when you are feeling pain, are you speaking up about it? Are you trying to keep doing whatever it is that's causing pain when you're in pain?

Have you two talked about other things you can try he may find just as enjoyable as vaginal intercourse, probably more so if they don't involve you having pain?

Have you been honest with your partner about these feelings of him "missing out," and let him weigh in on that? In other words, does HE feel he's missing out?

In that same vein, can you think of perhaps any other things that he or you might want to try and might enjoy, but that you don't or wouldn't do together for various reasons? For instance, if you're two people who are in a monogamous relationship, but one or both of you would probably enjoy having another partner in sex sometimes, but you choose not to pursue that for various reasons, would that seem like the same kind of "missing out," and something one or both of you would try and do anyway, even though one or both of you might not feel 100% good about it?

How about putting the shoe on the other foot? What if something you enjoyed caused him pain, so you needed it to be off the table for now. Would that be a huge deal for you? Might you feel okay about it, especially since skipping out on it would allow you to feel good about caring for your partner?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Yes, I feel aroused before intercourse, but I'd say right before and then at the start of it I don't really feel aroused any longer because of the pain and/or anticipation of pain. I do speak up if I'm experiencing pain for the most part (and it's only during intercourse, not anything else)...but the pain is only at the beginning of intercourse when he is entering me..and then sometimes towards the end when I really should be adding more lube. I'll ask him to go slow, give me a min. before we try again, etc.

We've talked about me feeling like he's missing out...and he's fine with taking a step back from intercourse if it means fixing this problem and he's willing to explore what else we can do that doesn't involve pain for either of us...but he also expressed that he would feel like he's missing out if that went on for an extended period of time (aka more than a couple of months). As it is, we don't have an opportunity to have sex too often.

Just to clarify, in your second to last paragraph do you mean trying to have sex with other partners? That's not really an option for either of us, at least while we're in a relationship together anyway. Monogamy is definitely more for us.

And if something I enjoyed caused him pain, I know I would be happy to take a step back for the time being because I wouldn't want to cause him pain. And I know that he doesn't want to cause me pain either and that it's something that worries him as well. But the more I give this some deep thought, the more it seems as though this dynamic we've created has kind of made sex more about him than it is for me, and that's definitely something that needs fixing as well.

Thanks [Smile]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Okay.

So, I think one thing you may want to have a very serious talk about is the possibility that intercourse may wind up being something you can't do without pain, ever. Now, that's unlikely, but since it sounds like your partner has expressed that without it past a couple of months, he'd feel he was missing out, I think that's likely to be resulting in some pressure on you, intended or not. How about talking about what it would mean if it simply wasn't something you could ever comfortably do, just to have that talk and see if you can't unpack some pressure (either from him or from yourself) that way?

In my second to last paragraph, I was just giving one possible example (of many) a situation like that. I have no idea if that, specifically, is something either of you feels you would enjoy. Catch my drift? get what I was trying to talk about there, about things one or both of you might enjoy, but might choose not to do because while you'd enjoy it in one sense, you would not in another?

I think you might have hit on something key and really important in that last sentence. How about thinking and talking more about that?

While I'm at it, let me check in with you on this: has intercourse EVER been something you really, strongly enjoyed -- either from start to finish or at any point when engaging in it -- and really wanted to do (not just emotionally, by physically, as well), not just something you wanted to provide for your partner?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

I suppose that would be an important discussion to have, however disheartening the thought of that may be. And yes, I do think that, intended or not, it does put some pressure on me.

I think once I started to experience consistent pain, I've felt like some aspects of our sex life have resulted in unintentional pressure on me. Especially when I was experience sex drive issues, my boyfriend has been understanding if I haven't been in the mood for sex...and on the other hand, there have been some times that he hasn't been into it either that I've been understanding about. But I think sometimes I feel a little pressure to have sex in terms of what I was talking about earlier...that I want to please him and not make him feel like he's missing out on something he enjoys. And I've never had an orgasm from sex, so I think automatically I feel like it's way more about him than it is about me.

I don't think I'd say I've ever "strongly" enjoyed intercourse...yes, there have been times it feels a heck of a lot better than others or that I've enjoyed it more (and I certainly remember a time when the start of sex wasn't always as painful)...and while I know sex is not supposed to be all about the orgasm all the time, it is hard to not experience the same kind of pleasure my partner does during sex. This is just such a frustrating situation!

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

We have a piece here I wrote about what disability can teach people with or without disability about sex that I think might be of help to you: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/disability_dharma_what_including_learning_from_disability_can_teach_everyone_about_sex

From the sounds of things, I'd say it's doubtful you won't ever be able to have intercourse without pain. However, if and when we ever get ourselves in a dynamic or a mindset where something that involves our bodies isn't really leaving room for the reality of our bodies, I think that's something we'll all want to try and revamp, especially if we want a sex life that's really about who we are. Know what I mean?

I don't think this has to be as frustrating as you're experiencing it to be if you can make some changes where what you're both doing is seeking out kinds of sex you BOTH mutually enjoy (even if it isn't in the exact same ways), both get off on (physically and/or emotionally), and both find feels good, rather than anyone being in pain or discomfort.

And if you are not reaching orgasm yet, that might also be a cue, combined with these other things, that you need to spend more time with your sex life by yourself; with masturbation, not just sex with a partner.

I have one more link for you or the both of you that might help with some of these conversations and with your own process. If you need more guidance about using it than it provides, give ma a shout and I'd be happy to talk with you about that: http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/yes_no_maybe_so_a_sexual_inventory_stocklist

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

I keep forgetting things with you, sorry!

I meant to also ask: are you enjoying other kinds of sex a lot?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Thank you for those two articles, Heather. I will be sending both to my boyfriend to take a look at as well.

I think making some changes will definitely help us to try to revamp this once and for all.

As far as the orgasm thing, I do orgasm when I masturbate or during some other activities with a partner, just not during intercourse. I know and believe that it's not important to always focus on having an orgasm, but it's a little frustrating to never have one during intercourse.

Also, aside from making some changes to what kinds of sex/activites we're doing that make us both feel good, I find that during intercourse when he goes to enter me that my vagina tightens up so much in anticipation of any pain that sometimes it feels like his penis is hitting a wall that will not allow it to go any further. Any relaxation strategies to try to reverse that?

Thank you!

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

You know that most people with vulvas don't reach orgasm from intercourse alone, yes?

With strategies to relax, like I said before, I'd first strongly suggest just taking intercourse off the table for a little while. While you're doing that, you two can explore kinds of sex you DO enjoy.

Then, after you've done that for a while, I'd suggest -- after, at a given time, spending a LOT of time with things that DO feel really good -- very gradually seeing how just barely introducing insertion with something very small goes. Like, for instance, having your partner just massage the opening of your vagina with a lubricated finger, and doing nothing more, to see how that feels. Then you stick with just that for a while, then you can gradually introduce a *little* more insertion, taking things baby-step by baby-step. make sense?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Thank you for the suggestions, Heather. And yes, I do know a lot of women don't reach orgasm through just intercourse...I think my frustration with that does stem from sex not being as enjoyable as it could be in general. But I'm looking forward to talking about these suggestions with my boyfriend and moving forward from there!

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Glad to be of help. Feel free to pop back at any point you need to. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

iloveyoubaby7411
Neophyte
Member # 70661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iloveyoubaby7411     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing has happened to me...my doctor told me there could be several reasons one could be hes penetrating your cervix if there's a lot of bleeding he said that would be why and others could be neither of you know what your doing..or hes too big ... Hope this helps [Smile]

--------------------
& oo7'oo4 ; 2o11 (:

Posts: 13 | From: In Iowaa. | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Hello again...so my boyfriend and I have worked on this issue and have had some minor successs. However, I'm still experiencing pain with penetration. I recently randomly came across a description of vaginismus and had an "aha" moment because the description sounded exactly like what I experience. It said that "no matter how much you want to have sex, it feels as if your vagina closes up like a venus fly trap right before penetration." I'm wondering if this could be a plausible scenario, and if so, would this require me finding a doctor who is an expert in pain like this?

--------------------

dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Sorry to post again...just curious if anyone has any insight into my previous question?

--------------------

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi dancrgrl. Have you tried the suggestions Heather gave you?

Here is a page on Vaginismus:
The FBI Files: Vaginismus

Your gynecologist can test if you have this. If you do have it, treatment is usually done by a sexual therapy provider.

[ 10-10-2011, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
iloveyoubaby7411: This area is for volunteer and staff replies only. See you round the rest of the boards.

[ 10-10-2011, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Kat, I appreciate the article. I hadn't yet come across Scarleteen's article on vaginismus and found it interesting. I plan on definitely discussing the issue at my next gynecologist appointment, though I do have to see if my insurance will cover an additional visit to their office this year since I'd like to do this sooner rather than later. And yes, I have tried the suggestions Heather made. We took intercourse off of the table for a while and worked on our dynamic and ensuring that each of us was effectively communicating what we wanted and what felt good, etc., and ultimately I'm still experiencing painful entry...I think it really comes down to my body just anticipating the pain because of past painful experiences. My boyfriend was very receptive to trying Heather's suggestions and certainly wants to help me work through this.

Thanks again!

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Am I getting it right, though, that you don't have the same kind of pain with a speculum exam? What about with things like tampon insertion, if you use those, or masturbation with any kind of insertion, if you do that?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

It's not the same level of pain, but there is definitely a quick twinge of pain with the speculum exam and definite discomfort. For a while tampons were very painful, but more recently (the past few months) it's become more comfortable. When my period's heavier it's definitely more comfortable, and when it's lighter there is a twinge of pain and discomfort then it goes away. And I don't find masturbation with insertion comfortable, so I avoid it.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Okay, so you certainly want to have a healthcare provider look into this. And again, if the one you have really isn't, and addressing that with them isn't working, you're going to need to find a way to see a different provider who will.

In other words, we're back to where we started. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

dancrgrl
Activist
Member # 34980

Yes, looks that way! Again, I appreciate all of the help!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.