Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » just out of curiosity...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: just out of curiosity...
sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetheart92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!
I was wondering if you guys could help clear this up for me. here goes nothing!
If someone is on the birth control pill, and has sex the day before she gets her withdrawal bleed, then pregnancy is obviously not an issue at that point. My question is: Since it takes time to become pregnant, wouldnt pregnancy still be a risk the next month from that incident? I am just a little confused. I have read that if you have had your period since the last sexual interaction you have had, then you should be safe, but this just confused me. This has been something that i have been wondering about for quite a long time..

Posts: 17 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The birth control pill works for all days of the cycle if it is taken correctly.

How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period?

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetheart92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, the link was helpful but i still have one more question.

If i were to have unprotected sex, and received my period the day after, could i rest assured that i will not become pregnant from this incident in the future? or would i have to wait to see if i miss my withdrawal bleed the next month.

Posts: 17 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are ovulating (ie if you are not on the pill or the pill fails to prevent ovulation) then a period is shedding the uterine lining (that an egg would implant into) and the egg that was released, so that means you are not pregnant, even for a risk the day before.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

Ok so what you are saying is that i would not need to worry about that situation getting me pregnant the next month? From my understanding it takes a few days to get pregnant, so getting my period the next day doesnt mean i am safe from getting pregnant from a risk the day before, but from previous risks right?
Ive never fully understood this.

sweetheart92
Neophyte
Member # 57856

Also, I have noticed that even though i am on my birth control pills, that i still have premenstrual symptoms, such as sore breasts, and feeling extra sensitive at least a weak before. I was wondering how this is possible since all the pills in my pack have the same dose of hormones. How does my body detect that my period is near if it is being controlled by my pill? Sorry if this sounds really dumb, these are just questions that i have been wanting to ask for a long time.

Thanks for all your help!

Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

It takes a few days to get pregnant, but when you bleed you are shedding your uterine lining, which is required for a pregnancy to happen, so there is no way to get pregnant from a risk before that.

Your body still goes through cycles even while on birth control. I take depo provera and don't even get a withdrawal bleed and I still get premenstrual symptoms myself.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.