Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Never been to gyno & something is wrong!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Never been to gyno & something is wrong!
hypochondriac
Neophyte
Member # 80021

Icon 4 posted      Profile for hypochondriac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 22 years old and have never been to the gynecologist. Solely my decision as I am completely aware of the risks and have never had sex. However I have had "manual sex" (fingering) done to me a few times that was like 3 years ago though. Recently I have noticed a very strong vaginal odor and just got off antibiotics for an ear infection. But the odor was before I started the antibiotics. So I looked down there with a mirror and noticed a lump I kind of think that it's on my clitoris maybe and it has like white on it. Also it is very red around it and hurts to touch. Today in the shower I felt inside my vagina and there is at least one more lump inside that is also painful.

I think I should go to the health center (I live on campus at college) but I am really scared I have never had a gynecological exam before, no one has ever even looked there! I couldn't even look there until recently!

I asked my mom and was like what could it be, where could I get it from. And she is so nervous about anything sex she is like "I know you haven't done anything or anything" (aka I know you are a virgin). So I am really worried that maybe I have an STD that I got from the fingering? And it didn't show up until now 3 years later? And I could never tell my mom!! Also wondering if it something to do with cancer? I am so nervous to go to the doctor I really don't want anyone to look there, my upbringing has made me modest to the point where I think I would become physically ill getting an exam. any chance this can go away on it's own? WHAT is it?

Posts: 2 | From: Somewhere in the south | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are infections you can get in your vagina or on your vulva that are not sexually transmitted, so getting an infection there does not necessarily mean you have an STI. I would recommend getting regular reproductive healthcare at your age even if you are not sexually active. Having a healthy reproductive system is not just about sex.

Since you are in so much pain I really recommend seeing a doctor as soon as you can.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hypochondriac
Neophyte
Member # 80021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hypochondriac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know in the US they say you need the gyno exam after you hit 18 or 21 but I read in Europe they never do it on virgins (or maybe they just never do pap smears?)

I am just really REALLY nervous about going. My family is very strict & religious, as you can see we don't talk about things like that (even though my mom is a nurse). Like they have made me fear anything sex related and I was taught that no one should ever touch or look at you there unless a husband or a doctor. Which doesn't make sense bc I would be seeing a doctor so why am I so freaked out?! I guess I am worried the doctor will be grossed out or say something? I will try to go today but I might chicken out.

Thanks for the quick response

Posts: 2 | From: Somewhere in the south | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.