Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Missed period and egg white cervical mucus?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed period and egg white cervical mucus?
Animica
Activist
Member # 44734

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Animica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been 45 days since my last period, and I'm a little concerned. My longest cycle had been 43 days before, and it was some oddball cycle, but I actually got my period. This time around, there are no signs of it. Strangely (at least for me), I'm having stretchy, clear cervical mucus (ovulation mucus?) I've always been fairly regular, with my average cycle being 35 days. My shortest cycle ever was May last year, at 26 days, and my longest is now this one.

I haven't had any intercourse, and the closest I was to dry sex was a while ago (can't remember when exactly), and at least one of us (us being my boyfriend and I) had at least some underwear. Nothing soaked through and there was never any ejaculation. So my guess is (and I hope I'm right) that it's not pregnancy I'm dealing with.

I have been stressed lately, but I've been stressed before and I've never missed a period. I went to the gyn when I had some cycle ups and downs, but she said it was normal. I don't have any medical coverage right now, so I can't go back to the gyn atm, and I think planned parenthood (at least here) doesn't check for that (I've gone before for that same reason, they just told me to go to a gyn).

A few months ago I got my std tests and they were all negative, so that's out of the question.

So, finally, any ideas about what this might be?

Posts: 132 | From: La La Land | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can pretty safely rule out pregnancy as a cause: there's really only a risk when we're talking about direct genital contact, and if at least one person was wearing clothing any time you and your boyfriend were sexual together - and he didn't ejaculate, to boot - then there's no reason to be concerned about pregnancy. (That said, if it would make you feel better, there's no harm in going ahead and taking a pregnancy test just to be doubly sure.)

A lot of things can cause a period to be late, and sometimes it happens for no obvious reason. Cycles can take up to 5 years or so to really settle into a pattern, so if you've only been menstruating a few years, that could be part of this. Stress (or rather, the upsets to our routines that tend to happen when we're stressed) can also have a big impact. So can illness of any kind....the list goes on and on. This article gives a really good rundown of why periods can go missing: M.I.A. or Dude, Where's My Period?

At the moment, I wouldn't say that checking in with a doctor is necessary. If you go three months or more without a period, or you find that your cycle is always very unpredictable even though you've been menstruating for several years, then that's reason to look into it, but right now the best thing you can do is try to relax and let your body do its thing.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Animica
Activist
Member # 44734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I've been having my period for almost 10 years now, so I think it settled a while ago. [Razz]

One more thing. Does the cervical discharge suggest anything? I mean, should I just assume I had no period and move on, or should I still be expecting it? I don't want any awkward accidents. [Wink]

[ 11-28-2011, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Animica ]

Posts: 132 | From: La La Land | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you've been tracking your cycle for awhile, including charting your cervical mucus, it's not really helpful to look at it as an indication of anything. I wouldn't assume that you're not going to have a period until your next "scheduled" one though - the body can do unpredictable things sometimes. [Smile]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Animica
Activist
Member # 44734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been charting since late 09, but I haven't been tracking mucus so faithfully (don't have that sort of dedication [Razz] ).

Thanks a lot. [Smile]

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

You're very welcome. [Smile]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.