Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » 99&

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 99&
Uh oh
Neophyte
Member # 41293

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Uh oh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I read this site regularly, and I find all sorts of statistics thrown around for effectiveness rates of the pill and what-not.

I have always been very paranoid about pregnancy, I really really don't want it to happen to me. My partner and I use withdrawal and I am a perfect user of the pill, I take it between 6 and 6:30 everyday.

What are my chances of pregnancy with these? should I worry at all? I am not concerned about STD's, just pregnancy.

I really can't stand having this worry in the back of my head all the time.

thanks

Posts: 33 | From: Perth, WA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, when we do the math, in one year of combining those two methods, you're looking at over 99% effectiveness with perfect use. Somewhere in the neighborhood of one in every few thousand women using both those methods will become pregnant every year.

And really, effectiveness like that is just as good as it gets no matter what you're using. What you need to figure out is if that's enough for you. If it's not, then usually the best choice is just to opt out of the kinds of sex that can create a pregnancy until you do feel comfortable with that very small risk.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uh oh
Neophyte
Member # 41293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uh oh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thankyou, I appreciate that. I just wonder if there is any way of making my chances of pregnancy any lower than that, I want the best protection out there. Condoms seem to cause nothing but frustration for my partner and I... and my pill is perfect use as well as withdrawal. Maybe I will start using spermicide as well.

I genuinely appreciate that feedback.

Posts: 33 | From: Perth, WA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uh oh
Neophyte
Member # 41293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uh oh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also, how many thousand every year? in terms of a percentage I have basically less than 1% chance of pregnancy within the year if I continue my current methods? is that right?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say how many as a sum every year because I don't know how many people use that combination of methods.

So, we can only use the same way of looking at this the effectiveness ratings do, which figure effectiveness based on how many pregnancies per every hundred women. And with this combo, you're looking at one out of every few thousand women using these methods in one year becoming pregnant.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

For sure, though, if you want to have a higher level of effectiveness and still have intercourse, you can change your methods.

For instance, an IUD or depo shot or implant is more effective than your pill, and condoms are more effective than withdrawal. Adding spermicide, which is the least effective of all, would likely not change much, if anything, here.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Uh oh
Neophyte
Member # 41293

so an IUD or a depo shot is more effective than the pill? how come? is this largely due to the difficulty in taking the pill perfectly?
Heather
Member # 3

Pretty much: it's about the fact that (save not getting shots on time, or having an IUD replaced when need be) there is no room for user error, nor for even slight fluctuations based on use. The method itself fully controls use for the most part.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Uh oh
Neophyte
Member # 41293

I have heard that alot of people have allot of problems with the IUD or the depo shot in terms of the transition period taking 6 months+. I knew a girl who didn't stop bleeding for 6 months and she lost 10 kgs...

I will start using condoms as well, whilst I know my chances are 99&, the closer I am to being worry free the better [Smile]

Thanks so much for your advice.

Heather
Member # 3

Both the implant and depo cause spotting as a side effect quite commonly. IUDs, too, but usually less often. But that girl who had a lot of spotting AND weight loss like that? That weight loss was likely about something else.

If you want to use condoms, you said you two have had some issues with them. If you want to fill me in on what those have been, I may be able to help so it goes better for you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Uh oh
Neophyte
Member # 41293

sounds good, he has a bit of trouble staying erect when using a condom, weve had many experiences with this. We found the right size and all but its the interruption and reduction in sensitivity. I'm thinking I will have to find those thin condoms and good lube as well as some sexy outfits...
Heather
Member # 3

Well, it might also be that he needs to practice with this on his own, too. Often when that's the deal, it's about attitudes about condoms -- and self-fulfilling prophecies: if he thinks a condom will do that, then it often will -- and just lack of practice and familiarity.

Really, condoms don't interrupt sex. When you know how to put them on, it takes nanoseconds. I wrote about this last year because when condoms came off the table in my current partnership -- something that has rarely happened in my life with male partners -- I expected, based on the way people talk like this, to have this massive reduction in time and some big lack of interruption. But it never happened, because myself and partners were so good at putting condoms on, it took no more time than things we do with sex all the time, like changing positions or body angles. So, that might be something to just talk about -- again, this could be about the idea it's some big interruption -- but also a cue that more practice is needed with putting them on. And that's something either of you can do, so if you're doing it, it might not feel like an interruption at all, because it can become part of sex with you. Know what I mean?

With sensitivity issues, by all means, going thinner makes a big difference. So does adding a drop of lube inside the condom before it goes on. As well, non-latex condoms conduct heat better, so you might give those a try. female condoms are non-latex, for the record, so those might be another thing to experiment with.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Uh oh
Neophyte
Member # 41293

Thankyou very much [Smile] awesome advice, I will be sure to keep those in mind

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.