Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » handwashing effectiveness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: handwashing effectiveness
820warrior
Neophyte
Member # 76632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 820warrior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Before me and my girlfriend start doing hand job/fingering, I want to be safe about what we are doing. First, if I get pre-cum on my hands, how effective is hand washing in getting it off? Second, if I get actual semen on my hands, how effective is hand washing in getting it off? I use warm water and antibacterial soap and dry it off. Thanks

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, sperm are not as strong as bacteria, so washing or drying is enough. The main reason you should both wash hands before touching each other is to prevent infections.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
820warrior
Neophyte
Member # 76632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 820warrior     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So there is no chance of any sperm surviving on my hand or her hand after washing? Like if she went to the bathroom 20 minutes later and had washed her hands, there is no possibility of cross contamination?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whether sperm survive is not actually what's important, because sperm need the semen they're in to go anywhere, so if the semen is dry, the sperm will die shortly and even if they are alive they can't actually move anywhere.

Check out these articles:
Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction
Pregnancy Scared?

[ 08-21-2011, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.