Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Confused Once Again! D:

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confused Once Again! D:
Kittyhawk
Neophyte
Member # 69989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kittyhawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I know I said this in my last post, but please go back and read my past posts to understand my predicament.

I had my period July 2nd. It wasn't a normal period (for me). I normally lasted 6-7 days, with moderately heavy flow. That July period was only 5 days, and moderate. I only filled one pad, in one day. All the other days, it was kinda light. Just not normal for me. I got pretty bad cramps on the 2nd day, which isn't normal for me. I never have cramps, so that worried me!

Now, it's August 5th. Still no period! I've been having some pain, on both sides, on the top of my hip bones. That's probably nothing related to reproduction, but it worries me. I also get some pain level to my belly button on my right side. Can someone help me? I'm very worried about pregnancy. Why else would my period be so jacked up? I've had no symptoms of pregnancy yet, except a bit of fatigue the other day. But it was over by mid afternoon.

Please, someone help me! Should I be worried? Also, one other question that is a little unrrelated. How reliable are the answers on this site? Are you guys like, certified with something?

Worried and confused,
Kittyhawk

Posts: 12 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you yet taken a pregnancy test?

In terms of the reliability of answers on this site, they're all supervised by me. I've been working in sex education and reproductive health and education for over 13 years now, and was in general education for years before then. I've worked other places (and gotten extra training in doing so), written one book on sex education and have now been part of writing and editing the next edition of Our Bodies, Ourselves, and also have given staff trainings to other people who work in this field. I keep very current with the kind of information we give all of you here, doing reading almost every single day on these topics as part of my job.

You're welcome to look over my CV here: http://www.scarleteen.com/node/3304

Our volunteers vary in what their background and training is, but they're all supervised and are also chosen to volunteer here when they've shown the capacity to do this work well and to provide reliable information.

There's really nothing for independent sex education organizations to be certified with, alas.

If you need more information about us than that, just ask, and I'm glad to tell you whatever you want to know. I'm also always glad to provide links to other places if you'd feel better about using them and, of course, an in-person sexual healthcare provider is usually your very best bet to fact-check any information you seek out here or elsewhere.

[ 08-05-2011, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kittyhawk
Neophyte
Member # 69989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kittyhawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Heather, that makes me trust you guys a lot more! But no, I haven't. Do you think I could be? D:
Posts: 12 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No trouble at all.

I think that if you have engaged in any sexual activities that can pose a risk of pregnancy, your period now is late, and your other one was pretty weird (even though it's not sounding that out of order to me, just a little different), and you're worried like this and having other wonky stuff going on, it's sound to take a pregnancy test.

If you did become pregnant back then, you'll need to know ASAP, and if you didn't, it doesn't make sense to me not to get that negative result so you can stop stressing yourself out.

So, how about just taking a test?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kittyhawk
Neophyte
Member # 69989

Well, yeah I can understand that. Some more information though, could I get an opinion?

*Can sperm (from pre-ejaculate, after urination. my bf had urinated a few times after his last ejaculation, which was the night before all this) travel through a single layer of moist clothing?
*Is there a "percentage" (approximate) that you could give me? Like, "i'd say you have a 50% chance of pregnancy"
***One last bit of info, we did this 10 days before my first period started***

Heather
Member # 3

We can't ever give percentages like you are asking for with pregnancy, because pregnancy is about far more than just what activity someone participated in and what kind or kinds of contraception they used. It's also about knowing things like about your fertility and his, and then there is basically a totally random element no one can account for.

So, the best anyone can do is to talk about the effectiveness rates of methods like we do, and about what percentage of people tend to become pregnant in one year of the sexual activities we know pose a risk of pregnancy. Trying to do anything else would literally be pulling percentages out of our bottoms, which no one can responsibly do.

If people are wearing clothing, pregnancy is unlikely unless that clothing is very thin and literally is SODDEN with semen. Pre-ejaculate as it is, alone, is not very likely to create a pregnancy, if not totally unlikely most of the time. And sperm can't just travel on their own, either, they need semen to create a pregnancy.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Kittyhawk
Neophyte
Member # 69989

Thank you so much! This calmed my nerves quite a bit. I'm due for my period any day now, so if I get it, could that mean I'm not pregnant?
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if you get a normal period that means you're not pregnant.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.