Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » No period for 2 months almost 3!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No period for 2 months almost 3!
littlekeys
Neophyte
Member # 72074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlekeys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't gotten my period for over 2 months already, and July is coming to an end already so I'm going on three months. I am sexually active and I had sex at the end of May, and I haven't gotten my period ever since then. In June and July around the time I was supposed to get my period I got cramps like normally but I just never got it. Also at the end of June, I found out I had Iron Deficiency Anemia and I joined colorguard which I'm being made to exercise n' all that. Could that be the reason why I haven't gotten it? HELP! [Frown] [Confused]
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you taken a pregnancy test? That's the first step, just to rule it out.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5722 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlekeys
Neophyte
Member # 72074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlekeys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I haven't taken a pregnancy test. I have no way of taking it. Every time I see my boyfriend he forgets it. I just don't know what to do besides that.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean when you say you have no way of taking it?

A pregnancy test is the only sure way to know if you are pregnant.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 870 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about you get the test yourself, since your boyfriend seems unreliable with this?

When you're this late, and pregnancy is a possibility, you really don't want to wait to take a test, since if you are pregnant, the clock can tick past pretty quickly when it comes to your options, okay?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlekeys
Neophyte
Member # 72074

My mom has no idea about any of this. She doesn't know I'm sexually active, she doesn't know at all. I'm really afraid to tell her I haven't gotten my period because I don't need her suspecting anything. I can rarely go place so I don't know how to go get one myself, my boyfriend has a pregnancy test at his house for me, I just need a way to get it. But, do I really need to worry? Shouldn't I be showing signs already?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually, the first symptom of pregnancy is a missed period. Many other symptoms come much later for many people, or, can be easy to confuse with other things.

Since you have had sex which poses a risk of pregnancy and your period is two months late, you really want to rule out pregnancy here. So, I'd not say worrying is helpful, but testing really is, whether you are or not. If you are, you can have all your options still available to you, which you might not very shortly, and if you're not, then that's a big thing you get to not have to worry about.

So, maybe it's time to talk with your Mom? Or time to ask someone else to help you who understands this is not something to blow off, which your boyfriend seems like he's not getting?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlekeys
Neophyte
Member # 72074

Gosh I'm so scared.. I guess I'll take it. I have to take a test. I'm freaking out because this is the first time.
Heather
Member # 3

For sure, it can be pretty scary.

But if you don't have anyone else to talk to, know that when you take the test, we're happy to be around to talk you through it or to talk about the results with you, whatever they are.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

littlekeys
Neophyte
Member # 72074

Do you think I should tell my mom I haven't gotten my period? Could it be something else?
Heather
Member # 3

It could absolutely be something else, like due to the changes in your life patterns you talked about.

But if you have had the kinds of sex where pregnancy is possible, you just really, really want to find out sooner instead of later if it's about pregnancy or not. There's only so big of a window to make some choices with a pregnancy, and as well, if and when someone is pregnant and decides they want to bring a pregnancy to term, getting started on healthcare for a pregnancy is really, really important to both a mother and a fetus, especially if and when a mother is a young person.

In terms of telling your Mom, that is absolutely up to you. But I am always a big proponent of young people having at least one supportive adult who knows them they can talk to when they're thinking about or already sexually active. It's just really, really tough sometimes to deal with that alone and with someone who has liberties and resources you don't who can help and support you when you need it. Like, for instance, now, in getting this test and, from the sounds of things, maybe evaluating how sound your relationships is, too. To me, a boyfriend who keeps blowing something so important off that he should be sharing responsibility with, for instance, usually isn't the best choice in a partner.

But what do you want to do? And if you don't feel comfortable telling your Mom, is there some other supportive adult you do feel you can tell?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

littlekeys
Neophyte
Member # 72074

I've been stressing my body with exercising like there's no tomorrow. My anemia problem has to do with my blood and not having enough, so I was thinking that could be another possibility.

But, yeah I really wanna find out like no if I am or not because it's still early, and I can do something about it. I don't wanna wait anymore, I'm hoping by Thursday that day will be the day I take it!

I feel like I should tell my mom, but I'm too scared, even though I'm 17, to her it just won't be food. There is other adult's that I have told like my two cousins who are 23 and 21.

Heather
Member # 3

Can I ask what you're afraid of in telling your Mom?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

littlekeys
Neophyte
Member # 72074

That she'll question me? Me and my mom don't see eye to eye. She's a really tough lady to get too.. she's not the easiest.
Heather
Member # 3

Without sounding clueless, is there a problem with being asked questions?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

littlekeys
Neophyte
Member # 72074

Kinda, with my mom yes. I can't tell the lady anything without her getting mad. I'm scared, but sooner or later I gotta tell her.
Heather
Member # 3

When she gets mad, it is abusive or unsafe for you in any way?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

littlekeys
Neophyte
Member # 72074

My boyfriend thinks it is, I don't.. she's crazy. That is why I don't tell her anything.
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi littlekeys, I'm going to step in here as well.

Could you be a little more specific? We'd like to help you, but it's hard without knowing what "crazy" means.

In what ways does your boyfriend think your mom's anger is unsafe for you?

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlekeys
Neophyte
Member # 72074

I guess it's the way she gets so mad, she can't talk without yelling. I don't think it's unsafe.
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you explain what types of wordings she uses. Does she tend to say hurtful things, or just yell?

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3426 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlekeys
Neophyte
Member # 72074

Both..

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.