Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » pools

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pools
hellohi
Neophyte
Member # 71155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellohi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so my boyfriend and i were in a saltwater pool (it was cold - around 74 degrees), and we were making out. he may have ejaculated, i'm not sure, but he was hard, i could feel him because my legs were wrapped around him. Both of us were wearing out bathing suits, and they never came off, but i was wondering, if he had ejaculated, or even pre-came, would the salt and the chemicals in the water have killed the sperm? Or would our clothing have prevented any from enetering my vagina? I am worried that I could get pregnant.
Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were wearing clothing and your genitals were never touching, you have no pregnancy risk here.

Check out Pregnancy Scared?
Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellohi
Neophyte
Member # 71155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellohi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes we were both wearing clothing, but there is no way semen could have gotten into the water and travelled to my vagina? and i'm pretty sure i was ovulating at that time too.
Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you read the links? You need direct genital-to-genital contact to create a pregnancy. You do not need to worry in this situation.

(You had no pregnancy risk here, so it doesn't matter if you were ovulating... but how do you know whether you were ovulating or not?)

[ 07-09-2011, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellohi
Neophyte
Member # 71155

yes the articles were great, but one of them mentioned that sperm could live in a hostile environment for up to 20 minutes? does water count as that hostile environment?
and i have an approximately 25-28 cycle, and we did this on like the 14th day, and i remember learning that ovulation takes place around then? does it?
thank you very much for your responses! just as a note, my period is about 2 days late - i really dont need to be worried (right?) but obviously i still kindof am. no way, with both the clothing and the water, right??

-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Water is definitely a hostile environment from sperm. Sperm is really quite fragile, and while they're often referred to as "swimmers", sperm cells can't actually swim through water and go through clothing. You did not have a risk and you don't need to be worried from this.

While a 28 day cycle and ovulation on the 14th day is the average, there are a lot of variations between women and from one cycle to the next. The only way to know for certain when you ovulate is if you chart by taking your basal temperature and checking your cervical mucus every day for several months.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Yes water is not a natural environment for sperm. But even if they are alive, they really have no way to find your vagina. They have no intelligence, they just kind of wiggle around. In the vagina, there are only two ways to go, in and out, and they go both ways. The ones that make it in have a change to find your egg.

Ovulation does not necessarily take place on the 14th, day, no. Women tend to vary widely in when we ovulate in our cycle. In the second link I sent you it talks about this some.
quote:
Trying to predict times of ovulation is usually something that is done when you are TRYING to get pregnant, not trying to avoid it. However, some people chart their fertility cycles to be informed about their own bodies, some use that charting as a method of birth control (though using it solely isn't advised for younger people, or for couples who really can't deal with a pregnancy), and some use charting in conjunction with another method of birth control, such as condoms, by using condoms for all intercourse during all of the cycle, save the most fertile period, during which they abstain from genital intercourse completely. To chart fertile cycles and predict when you (or your partner) is most and least likely to be fertile, a person will need to have had regular menstrual cycles for at least a few years, then every day look at cervical mucus (with a finger or a speculum) and take a basal body temperature, with the help of a teacher or good guide to know what's what. After doing that for a few months, so long as cycles are regular, one can predict with a good deal of accuracy when ovulation and highest fertility is likely to occur in the upcoming cycle, and know when it happened in the previous ones.
If this was the only possible pregnancy risk you had since your last period, you don't need to be worried. If you are late for your period, you can take a pregnancy test for your peace of mind.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

hellohi
Neophyte
Member # 71155

Thank you so so much, that really helped! There was no chance nay sperm could have found my vagina, even if he was hard, or pre-ejaculated, both because we were in water, and because we were wearing swimsuits, right?
While I was on my period last month, i gave my boyfriend hand, he pre-ejaculated, (but i was wearing both pants and a sanitary napkin). i then went home (a 30 minute drive), and used the bathroom. I'm pretty sure i washed my hands before then, but i dont quite remember - but in the space between giving him hand and driving home, i touched like 20 things, and wiped my hands on my jeans. Is there any way i could get pregant from that? i know i'm overreaacting, its just that my period is a few days late and now i'm stressing, both from that and from when we were in the pool. Thanks so much for your help!

hellohi
Neophyte
Member # 71155

as you said, there is only 2 ways for sperm to go - either in or out. any sperm that could have been in the water could not have gotten into my vagina? no, right? i really need to calm down [Confused]
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Sperm cannot travel through clothes, no, nor can they find your vagina through the water. Like I said before, you need direct genital-to-genital contact. When I said they have two ways to go I meant if someone ejaculated in a vagina. In water, they have all ways to go and will spread out. You need a lot of semen IN the vagina for sperm to get anywhere.

Because this is worrying you so much, are you sure you are ready for these kind of sexual activities? Often times over-worrying is a sign you may not ready yet. Sexual activity should be enjoyable and not so stressful! Maybe you should back off a bit so you are not stressing yourself out?

Check this out:
Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist

Also if you are late for your period, you can take a pregnancy test. That might help ease your mind.

[ 07-10-2011, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

hellohi
Neophyte
Member # 71155

haha i think you're right, i really dont need this kind of worry. Really really appreciate the help, you guys are great!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.