Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » How to not get herpes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to not get herpes
Adviceguy158
Neophyte
Member # 25276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adviceguy158     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everyone:

last year, I had a girlfriend, but we did break up but are thinking about getting back together, and at one point, we almost decided to have sex, but we never did get far. The problem is she has herpes from a previous partner. I would like to know the ways to avoid getting herpes? Can one also catch it just by fingering or doing touching by the vaginal area?

Posts: 25 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan United States | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Herpes is most typically contracted by dual contact with mucous membranes. So, genitals-to-genitals, mouths-to-mouths, mouths-to-genitals. Sometimes it can be more indirect, the genitals-to-hand-to-eye.

So, with something like fingering, if and when someone has genital herpes, you'll want to either use latex gloves or just be really good about handwashing before and after (a good idea, anyway), and be careful not to touch anything like your mouth, own genitals or eyes until you're done and have washed your hands. With other kinds of sex, latex barriers are your pals: they provide around 70% protection from the herpes virus.

If and when she is getting or having an outbreak, the best bet is to avoid contact with the area that's happening in or around, period.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adviceguy158
Neophyte
Member # 25276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adviceguy158     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is genital herpes that she has.
Posts: 25 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan United States | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was giving the information I was about either type of Herpes, as it's applicable to either.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Heather said, latex barriers and handwashing are the way to go (and are always, always a good idea regardless). For genital-genital contact, that means condoms, and dental dams for oral sex with her as the receiving partner. (If you can't find dental dams - and they can be a bit tricky to find - you can use saran wrap or slice open a condom so you have a flat sheet of latex.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.