Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » BC on health plan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BC on health plan
Destinee Carols
Activist
Member # 54626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Destinee Carols     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't sure where to find the answer for this question and thought you guys might know best. I don't know how familiar you may be with the BC Medical system and precisely how it all works... I have no idea really.

I went to fill out a prescription for birth control at Superstore the other day because I had no time to go back to Wal-Mart, where I'd gone before. The prescription was for a year, in 3-month doses, I suppose.

I asked the pharmacist for a price and she listed something like $88 bucks. I had no idea if she'd meant it all, or just three months... I came back and they charged me for $5. I'm new to their pharmacy so they asked for my CareCard. Now I was under the impression that nothing got put on my parents' medical plan unless they were with me or I asked, but obviously it was put on something if I didn't have to pay for it... I went back and got it corrected but have no idea if there is now no record of this on my parents' plan. I do not want them to find out. Also, the second price I paid after she supposedly sorted things out was $49, not $88...

Is there any way I can know for sure that I am the only person with whom the records will show I'm getting BC? Can I get someone to check...and how does the whole medical plan thing work?

Posts: 89 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't lived in BC for a couple of years, but when I did I was a student and therefore had the basic provincial health coverage and additional coverage for prescriptions, dental, etc. through my university's student health plan. I don't recall that prescriptions were something covered under the provincial healthcare system, although they are in some provinces, but that may have changed recently.

The home page for BC's medical services plan is here: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/ and they'll likely have information on what's covered and what isn't. I'd also go back to the pharmacy where you got this filled, if possible, and ask them to clarify how they priced your prescription and whether any of it was covered by your provincial health care or your parents' insurance.

Edit: It seems there is a program that covers part of prescription costs in BC now, Fair PharmaCare: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/pharmacare/plani/planiindex.html If you're enrolled in the provincial health care plan by your parents (which generally minors are) then they may also have enrolled you in the PharmaCare program which would account for the cost of your prescription. It would still be a good idea to check in with the pharmacy though - they can explain all of this and how they calculate prices.

[ 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destinee Carols
Activist
Member # 54626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Destinee Carols     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for the links. I will try to go back to the pharmacy and see how that all went down... With no idea of how it all really works I wasn't sure that my parents wouldn't be able to discover my prescriptions.
Posts: 89 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.