Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » 27 days long enough?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 27 days long enough?
lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lollylou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are two pregnancy tests at 26 and 27 days after risk completely and utterly 100% trustworthy?
I thought I'd got over this until noticing a metal taste in my mouth, combined with tender boobs and what feels like nipples chaffing.

Posts: 84 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this still about this risk?
http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/025763/p/1.html#000000

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lollylou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't open the link, sorry!
The risk where I missed a pill?
I wouldn't even be considering this again if my mouth didn't taste really weird.

Posts: 84 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you've had two negative pregnancy test, you don't need to be concerned about that risk anymore. Also, if it is the same risk, you have had several periods since. Which also means that you are not pregnant.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

I just want to start a fresh and be completely confident in my contraception but I can't do that with past risks on my mind.
So one withdrawal bleed and two tests is enough to completely draw a line under it!

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Yep. You waited long enough to take the tests, so you can trust that the results are accurate.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

thank you very much [Smile]
I also would like to talk about something else if that's okay?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Sure! We're happy to help with whatever you want to talk about.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

Well, about a month after me and my boyfriend first had intercourse, I told my mum. I'd always wanted to but was in two minds about it, and then it became more important as I was in hospital having surgery.
She said that she thought we were too young and hadn't been together long enough and she said it was at the end of the day my decision, but she didn't want to hear more any more about it, doesn't want to be involved in discussions and hear any more about it, which is fair enough.
We've spoken about it a bit more and she's fine with me being sexually active, but sticks to her guns in not wanting to be involved.

I'd feel a lot better if my boyfriend's parents knew too, but he won't tell them.
They are both quite laid back, relaxed people and he has a good relationship with both of them, as do I and I can't see it being a problem, and I think they'd be more supportive if we told them instead of them just walking in on us or something.
He has two older brothers, both really bubbly outgoing, popular boys, so i'm pretty sure his mum and dad have been through it with them too and it wouldn't be a big deal for the third time, but my boyfriend just won't budge on this one!
What do I do?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Ultimately, whether or not your partner wants to tell his parents is his decision to make.

I absolutely agree that honesty is usually the best policy and that we should always try to make an effort to communicate openly with our parents.

But whether or not to have that conversation is between a parent and their child. It's not something that anyone can decide for either of them, no matter how well-intentioned.

So, all you can do is suggest to your boyfriend that he have a conversation with his parents, and explain why you think it's important. If that's what you've done, and he remains unconvinced, then you've done all you can, unfortunately.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

I hate the sneaking around!
And that's where some of my pregnancy anxieties come from too, I think, but as you've said I can't do anything else really.

My metally feeling/taste is only on the left side of my mouth, if this makes a difference, in pregnancy it would be more generalised right?
I really just want to forget the past and start again.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Absolutely, the secrecy can be part of what's causing this anxiety for you. Have you tried to specifically explain that to your boyfriend? Knowing how much having to sneak around with sex is bothering you may make him more receptive to the idea of talking to his parents.

Alternatively, if he's absolutely opposed to talking to his parents, you two may want to put a stop to sexual activities that can cause pregnancy until you're in a place where you no longer have to sneak around. Be that because he's feeling more comfortable talking to his parents, or because either of you is moving out of your parents' house.

And I'd really try not to worry about this metallic taste. You're clearly not pregnant: you've had two negative pregnancy tests and a withdrawal bleed.

[ 05-16-2011, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

i think I'll try and talk to him about it again soon [Smile]
It's the sneaking around that contributes to being careless with contraception too.

Phew! I?m so relieved that's final.

lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

I know you said don't worry but my metallic taste hasn't gone away [Frown]
It's localised to the middle of my left cheek, and I know you're not doctors etc, but is this common for other reasons not pregnancy?

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are tons of reasons you could be experiencing a metallic taste in your mouth. Sometimes it can have to do with dental work that you might have had previously, or not drinking enough water, or a medication you're taking or some other dental or medical issue. Your best bet would be to head to your doctor and/or dentist to get it checked out.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

I can't go see anyone right now.
I haven't had dental work done, have no metal fillings.
Have been drinking loads, probably more than usual.
On no medication except birth control pills?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't get to your local NHS? Because really, with something like this, we're just not going to be able to be of help. With an ongoing issue like this that's a big question mark, you really need to see a healthcare provider in person who can check it out.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

My A-Level exams are happening, and I'm not currently staying at home.
It just comes back to the needing to know it's not pregnancy thing I guess, if it's an illness or something then it can wait a month but for pregnancy it really can't.
I feel so stupid for always coming back to this when each time you've reassured me, but I guess the stress from other things is making me be like this.
So there's absolutely 100% no way I can be pregnant after a light withdrawal bleed and a couple of neg HPTs?

lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

I've been reading all the decidual bleeding whatnot.
My bleed - my last one in mind, have been lighter, but have lasted 5 days.
This one, I think I started on the tuesday, was having 'normal bleeding' until friday. Took my pill again on saturday, and was still having red blood when I wiped until sunday night.
Is this too long to be decidual bleeding?

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly? I'd strongly advise you stop reading all of that. Decidual bleeding is rare, and you've had negative pregnancy tests. I think continuing to focus on this and immerse yourself in reading this kind of stuff is not helping you out at all, it's just keeping you in a bad space.

All we can do right now is say again that it sounds very clearly like you are not pregnant, but if tests and periods and what we have said isn't helping, then the only sound next step is to talk to a healthcare provider (you don't have to see the one near your home, you can go into any NHS office), both to verify a lack of pregnancy for you, and maybe to also get some help with the anxiety you are having around this.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

I just can't help myself, I know I shouldn't do it but I seem to think it'll have the reverse effect - confirm that my feelings are irrational.

I've been once, I felt unable to explain myself and as if she'd be thinking 'oh what, another silly teenager' but that was the nurse practioner I'd seen for many other things before who I knew quite well, so maybe the family planning clinic would be better? They'd be more equipped to help people feel they could open up a bit more.

Heather
Member # 3

The family planning clinic cannot likely help you find out what the metallic taste in your mouth has been, since that's not likely about your reproductive system.

But they certainly could likely help you around this anxiety and the obsessive thoughts with pregnancy, and could absolutely give you another pregnancy test.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

lollylou
Activist
Member # 62749

I'm not fussed about the taste unless it's indicating pregnancy, I'll be sure to go and see about it if it carries on but until then it's just something triggering bad thoughts.

Do you know if they can do blood tests, or just urine?

and I really can't show how grateful I am for all your help on here, it must take so much time and commitment to answer thr same things over and over but it really does make a big difference to us.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Most gynecologists or clinics will give urine tests, just like the kind you take at home. But if you specifically ask for it, you can also get a blood test.

And we're glad to know that our work makes a difference to you! [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.