Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Depo and not having a period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depo and not having a period
Green iPod
Activist
Member # 42060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green iPod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Depo on April 1st. I took my nuvaring out a week later and had a period for like 2 and half to 3 weeks. I was told I would probably stop getting periods on Depo but it could take 3-6 months. A few days ago I had oddly colored discharge and at one point it was brown like right before or after I get my period but now everything seems to be back to normal. Since its been about a month since my last period stopped I thought I would be getting it again but so far nothing. Could it because the depo? Or because my last one was so long? I'm not sure of the last time I had penetrative sex, I think it was before I started depo but my boyfriend has never ejaculated inside me without a condom. I know you can't tell me if I'm pregnant or not, but could I be? Or is the depo just making everything wonky?
Posts: 47 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the most common side effects of Depo (and other progestin-only methods) is irregular bleeding or spotting. So it really isn't surprising that you aren't getting your period when you expected: that's what usually happens on Depo. You can take a pregnancy test if you like, but it sounds like your risks up to this point have been minimal.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5738 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.