Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Girlfriend and late period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Girlfriend and late period
collegekid35
Neophyte
Member # 64940

Icon 5 posted      Profile for collegekid35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two Saturday's ago my girlfriend and I had sex, with it being her first time. She's been taking birth control regularly (maybe missing a few nights here and there) since January of this year, though she did take another pill years before. I did not use protection nor did I ejaculate inside of her, so the only bit to get in there would be 'precum.' With me being 20 and her being 18 we are both well aware that the risk of pregnancy is still there. I have read on here that it isn't exactly uncommon for a girl to have a late period after her first time. We had sex three days before she said her period would start. When I asked a local nurse she said that with her being so late in her cycle the chances of her getting pregnant are even smaller than normal. We plan on buying a pregnancy test just in case.

But with all this together (BC, pulling out, days before scheduled period) are the chances of her being period significant? Though like I said, we are both aware there is still a possibility no matter what.

Posts: 2 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How irregularly is she taking her pill? If she has had one or more late pill in a pack, she cannot really count on full protection anymore. With one missed pill, you want to figure that the protection is around 92%, and it goes down from there when more pills are missed.

That aside, if you used withdrawal perfectly (pulling out well before ejaculation and not ejaculating anywhere near here), you've got about a 96% effectiveness rate there.

So you may have had a pregnancy risk, but it was a small one. (It's also irrelevant when in your girlfriend's cycle this happened: since she's on the pill, she should not be ovulating.)

Sex, be it the first or the hundredth time, isn't going to affect the menstrual cycle unless a woman becomes pregnant. So, there's no connection between first-time-sex and late periods.

Since your girlfriend's withdrawal bleed is already late, she can go ahead and take a pregnancy test now to figure out what's going on.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
collegekid35
Neophyte
Member # 64940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for collegekid35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She said that yesterday and a little today that her breasts were hurting a little, hopefully implying some pre-period symptoms.
Posts: 2 | From: Indiana | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.