Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Risk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Risk?
loopsicle
Neophyte
Member # 61364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loopsicle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and I had protected sex 13 days ago (i wore a condom). Before we had sex, she stimulated me with her hand for about a minute. Then we got everything ready, including taking our clothes off and putting the condom on. A few minutes after she had stimulated my penis with her hand, she applied some lube to the outside of the condom (it was a spermicidal condom if that makes any difference). We then had sex. The condom did not rip or tear.

We did this day 16 of her cycle, which is really inconsistent and can last anywhere between 25-33 days. It is now day 29 (13 days later) and she is experienced nausea and headaches yesterday and today. She is scared that she may be pregnant from our incident and is wondering if she could be experiencing morning sickness.

I guess what I'm wondering is if there is a chance that she could be pregnant after that. She said that her hands were dry from getting her clothes off and stuff, and I'm not even sure any precum came out during the 1 minute she stroked me. But maybe putting lube on her hands could've kept the sperm alive? Anyways, she is very worried and I told her I would do some research. I know a preg test would work but I can't get one until this weekend so I would like Fo ease her mind until then. Is there a chance she is pregnant, and can she experience morning sickness already or is she paranoid?

Thanks!

Posts: 4 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you two take a look at this article:
Pregnancy Scared?

Too, the first sign of pregnancy is usually a missed period. After that, it takes quite a while for other symptoms to show up. So, even if she was pregnant, she would not be experiencing any symptoms at this point.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loopsicle
Neophyte
Member # 61364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loopsicle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply. I am still having trouble interpreting whether or not we even had a risk though if the condom didn't break. Could sperm have gotten from my precum to the outside of the condom if her hamd was dry and it was several minutes later?
Posts: 4 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a good rule of thumb when it comes to pregnancy risk: any time you start mapping out possible routes that sperm could have taken from one place to another, you can be pretty sure that you do not have a pregnancy risk from that particular scenario. For the most part, it really does take direct genital contact to create a pregnancy risk.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loopsicle
Neophyte
Member # 61364

Thank you!
loopsicle
Neophyte
Member # 61364

Ok, her period still hasn't come yet. We bought a few clearblue hpt's last night. She took one last night and right away when she woke up, both reading negative. The last time we had sex was a week ago (no mishaps since the one I described earlier in this thread or condom breakage). She normally gets her period around day 27 now, but a few years ago it was 30 and she got it as late as 34 days one time (she is very physically active, causing some irregularity). Today is day 33... how certain can we be of the negative results? Is it possible that she is pregnant but just hasn't "missed" her period yet, causing the results to be off?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

You usually want to wait at least 10 days before you take a pregnancy test to make sure that the result is accurate.

You haven't had a real risk, so a pregnancy test is mostly for your peace of mind. But you'll still likely want to retest in a few days to make sure that the test gives you an accurate result.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.