Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth control process

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control process
Manna
Neophyte
Member # 60969

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Manna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I have been dating for four years. We are both virgins, waiting until marriage to have sex. Since we have started talking about setting a date, I figured I should start thinking about birth control. I wanted to start it at least a month before the wedding, but I had a few concerns. First of all, what are the procedures to gaining a prescription, and secondly, how long does it take for the medicine to work its way through your system? Considering I am a virgin, I'm very uneasy about the thought of a pap-smear. Any information would be very helpful. :]
Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will visit your doctor or gynecologist to get a prescription. Your doctor will be able to best discuss your preferences and the ideal form of birth control for you, your body, and your lifestyle.

When you visit your gynecologist you can, and should, mention that you have not had penetrative sex and would like them to take things slowly and explain what they are doing at each step. You're also totally allowed to have another person in the room with you, so if having your boyfriend, or a mother, sister, or good friend would help you relax then that's another thing to consider.

Can you clarify what you mean by "work through your system"? Do you mean once you start or once you are off?

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per the gynecological visit? Take a look at this article: Your First Gynecologist Visit

[ 04-02-2011, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Manna
Neophyte
Member # 60969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CoatRack:

Can you clarify what you mean by "work through your system"? Do you mean once you start or once you are off?

I mean once you start it, how long does it take for the medicine to become effective? Is it immediate, or does it take a while? I remember reading somewhere that it takes about a month for the chemicals to take effect.
Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if you're talking specifically about using the pill, we suggest waiting about a month. Some doctors say two weeks, but hormones work differently for different people, so better safe than sorry.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.