Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth control pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control pills
luvgirl
Neophyte
Member # 45011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I just started my first package of birth control pills on 22th of february, a Thursday. My doctor said that after I finished my package I'd have to wait 7 days to start the next one, and that I would always start the package the same day of the month (Monday, friday, etc..). But I finish the pills tomorrow, and seven days from tomorrow is Tuesday. So I don't knwo what to do. Do I start to take them on Tuesday? Or wait until Thursday the same week to start?
Thanks for reading.

Posts: 13 | From: Chile | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do your pills have placebo pills? That's a week of inactive pills, usually a different color than the other pills, at the end of the pack?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvgirl
Neophyte
Member # 45011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, just active pills. It contains 21 pills entirely.
Posts: 13 | From: Chile | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. So, if you take your last pill tomorrow, on Monday, that means you're going to start your next pack on the following Monday, which will be seven days AFTER you took your last pill, and seven days off in between.

(If in doubt, count fingers on your hand to seven, starting with Tuesday, and you'll see that gets you to Monday.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvgirl
Neophyte
Member # 45011

So it doesn't matter that I don't star it on Thursday like my doctor said?
Heather
Member # 3

I think perhaps something may have gotten misspoken or misunderstood between you and your doctor.

What's important with pills is that you simply take one each day from the day you started, in the right order (for pills where they're not the exact same pill every day). Then you need to make sure you NEVER take any more than seven days from the end of one pill pack until you start the next. So long as you never take more than those seven days between, and start a new pack the day after those seven days off, you'll be taking your pills properly.

That's not always going to happen on the same day of the week.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.