Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » my mom no longer trusts me.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: my mom no longer trusts me.
gdw_dog
Neophyte
Member # 58826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gdw_dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
last night, my mom walked in on my boyfriend and i having sex. we have been having sex without her knowledge for about 4 months. i also paid a visit to my local planned parenthood clinic for a prescription for birth control, unbeknownst to her.
last night, i told her about everything. she was very upset that i lied to her. i didnt want to have to lie to her, but she specifically said 'no sex at 16', yet i felt that it was time for me to lose my virginity. obviously things will be quite tense at home for awhile..is there anything i can do to regain her trust? i regret lying to her...what can i do to make this better?

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think the first thing to bear in mind is just that rebuilding trust takes time, and this just happened. So, I'd start by just giving her some space and time to absorb what she walked in on and all you have told her and to start to process it.

Do you and your Mom generally have a good relationship? Are you very close?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gdw_dog
Neophyte
Member # 58826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gdw_dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
prior to this, we had a healthy relationship (as healthy as one can be that is built on lies) and were somewhat close.
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lies beyond you not being honest about being sexually active?

If not, when you were honest last night, did you leave anything out, or were you as fully honest as you could be?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gdw_dog
Neophyte
Member # 58826

yes, i also smoke occasionally.
i was as fully honest as i could be with her. i suppose all i can do is be good and re gain her trust with time, i just really needed somebody to talk to and vent with. i would like to continue having sex, but that is unrealistic at this point in time.

Heather
Member # 3

So, you did the best you could here when it comes to having been dishonest and remedying the situation as best you can at this point.

I do think it sounds like if you want to rebuild trust, it might be a good idea to step away from having sex for the time being, and let her know you're willing to do that while you and she work through this together. I think offering that -- which, you know, sex break, life goes on, it's not that big a deal -- as well as just letting her know you want and intend to work to rebuild trust and that your relationship with her is important to you would be excellent. You can also even just let her know that today, and also let her know that while you're ready to talk to her some more, if she needs time, or feels you both do, to kind of think for yourselves than talk more later, that you respect that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

gdw_dog
Neophyte
Member # 58826

okay. yeah, after this, sex is not going to be happening for a good, long while [Razz]
ive apologized several times already and i will definitely remind her that i value her trust as well as a healthy relationship with her. thanks so much for your advice.

Heather
Member # 3

It really sounds like you have handled this as best you can.

I want to also make sure you know something: a lot of the time, when young people don't feel able to be honest about sex with parents, it's because parents have put up some kind of barrier or given cues that you can't be unless you make exactly the choices they want you to make.

Now, I wouldn't share that with your Mom, but I wanted to tell it to you so that you know that this probably is not all your fault, even though you are, of course, responsible for your own choices, including the choice not to be honest. I just don't want you to put all of this on you, because just like with any relationship, relationships between parents and their kids are two-way streets, and when something like this happens, it's usually about mistakes on both sides in some way, not just one.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.