Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Weird stomach pains - maybe pregnancy ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weird stomach pains - maybe pregnancy ?
Monybaybee
Neophyte
Member # 51333

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Monybaybee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so I have a sort of long question. My stomach feels like there's stuff moving around. And I have two explanations for it, but I'm bot sure which one to go with.
Yesterday, I didn't have anything to eat but a small bag of chips then later in the night I went to a club and drank a lot. - maybe that's it ?
OR
I also had unprotected sex afterwards. BUT the guy didn't cum.
So am I maybe pregnant or is it just a stomach ache ?

Posts: 2 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy happens in the uterus, not in the stomach, so while it can cause stomach upset, it's not IN the stomach. As well, pregnancy is not instant: it takes more days than one to happen, and feeling movement is not something that happens until WAY later down the road.

For sure, you did have a risk of pregnancy and of sexually transmitted infections. If you want to reduce the pregnancy risk, you can use emergency contraception. You can't do anything about the STI risks now, save getting tested in a few weeks.

That all said, barely eating and drinking in excess will certainly upset one's stomach.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monybaybee
Neophyte
Member # 51333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monybaybee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thank you ! So you think it's more likely because I barely ate and I drank ?
Posts: 2 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if all you ate was a bag of chips and then drank all night, you'd have to have an iron stomach NOT to have stomach upset.

But I'd still consider how to manage the risks you took here, okay? Just because your stomach probably isn't upset because of them doesn't mean it'd be wise to blow them off.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonasFogg
Neophyte
Member # 51389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonasFogg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few things...

1 day after my girlfriend finished her period, I had unprotected sex, but pulled out right in time (or at least I hope I did).

About 8 days later she has a stomach ache.

She ended up taking starting BCP the day after we had unprotected sex to hopefully thwart any further scares down the road. Was that a bad idea? could that increase the risk of preganancy, and by taking the pill 2 days after her period ended, will that alter when she gets her next period (which I'm anxiously waiting for to ease my mind on possibly being a daddy)...

Posts: 3 | From: Maryland | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused - do you mean to say that she took the Morning After Pill after the unprotected sex? Or did she just happen to start taking regular hormonal birth control the day after?

Either way, taking the pill doesn't increase the risk. In fact, if she did take the MAP, that decreases the risk. And a stomach ache happening a week later is likely not related to this at all.

You did have both a pregnancy risk and an STI risk. It's too late to do anything about the pregnancy risk now, safe to wait until she gets her period, or to take a pregnancy test (which she can do at 10-14 days after the risk). And if you two haven't been tested recently, you'll want to schedule STi tests.

(And in the future, it would be great if you could start your own topic to post questions, as we sometimes overlook questions that are in an older thread. You can start your own topic by clicking on the "New Topic" button.)

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note too -if it was BCPs she was taking and not the morning after pill- starting BCPs when you've had a pregnancy risk is NOT a good idea. It's why doctors always test before prescribing them (or wait to test if it's too early) - so if it's been 10-14 days since the risk you want to go ahead and test asap, and if positive she wants to stop taking the pills.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonasFogg
Neophyte
Member # 51389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JonasFogg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, will start a new post in the future. I'm a new member, and am a bit unfamiliar with the site. But in the meantime, I'll keep going with this.

She said that she started taking birth control (not the morning after pill) the Sunday AFTER her period, rather than the Sunday before. Aren't you supposed to start birth control the Sunday after your period started?

I read that taking birth control the way she did could speed up her ovulation, is that true? And should she expect to get her period on her normal existing cycle, or will the birth control taken incorrectly (if she indeed take it incorrectly) mess up her cycle?

Posts: 3 | From: Maryland | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's recommended that you start the pill on the first Sunday after the start of your period. That way, the body can adjust to it the easiest.

But Stephanie raises a valid concern - it's not a good idea to start the pill after a pregnancy risk. So, your girlfriend will want to take a pregnancy test once it's been at least 10 days since the risk.

And birth control pills, regardless of when you start taking them, will not speed up your ovulation. Part of how the pill works is by suppressing ovulation. But either way, the pill interrupts the natural cycle and creates an artificial one, and withdrawal bleeds can be irregular for the first few months on the pill. So, it's likely that she won't bleed as expected.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.