Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » dry lips = wounds, from the standpoint of a virus?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dry lips = wounds, from the standpoint of a virus?
naplement
Activist
Member # 46362

Icon 5 posted      Profile for naplement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dear experts,

I'd like to know if someone's lips being dry influences the way they resist transmitting STIs mouth-to-mouth.

I often have little cracks or other problems with my lips, especially at winter, but would also like to feel safe kissing people casually.

where to draw the line between worrying and not? Threat it as a wound only if it actively bleeds (which rarely happens)/ if it's deeper than x mm? x=? Decide that I won't make out with people unless my lips are in a perfect shape, which could easily make me kiss-celibate for quite long periods of time? Make kissing a function of the nature of the relationship, and threat it the same as any possibly risky sex act? Embrace that living means taking risks?

(ps: I know that I have to deal with the paranoia in it's own right, but to make informed decisions I still need the facts, too.)

with respect

Posts: 124 | From: hungary | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most STI's are passed between moist areas so the way dry/cracked lips would incease your risks is if you have open skin (like a cut looks like).Remember, the most likely "sexual" infection spread by typical kissing is the cold sore/fever blister variety of herpes. The others are not very likely by just kissing.

[ 11-14-2010, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: OWL Dan ]

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naplement
Activist
Member # 46362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for naplement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so herpes transmission rates can increase, but the more scary stuff won't be influenced by this? thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 124 | From: hungary | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.