Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » problem with pubic hair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: problem with pubic hair
PSYCHOanalytical
Activist
Member # 43343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PSYCHOanalytical     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally, I'm happy with it. A lot of my friends wax, but when I've tried using some hair removal cream (just to see how it would go and to save on costs), I just wasn't all that comfortable with how it looked, both times that I tried it. Now I don't care what anyone says about my choice - the only reason I tried was for myself in curiosity and as a surprise for my boyfriend. Now all I do is occasionally go over my bikini line and decrease the area/length of hair, but my problem is not about how I look.

I've found that when it grows out it causes me a lot of discomfort and itching, as the hair grows on the inside of my labia a bit, and I think it rubs as I walk. It also grows towards my butt a bit, and as it's not the sensitive vulva or anal tissue (and I almost always use protection with someone I trust a lot to tell me if he's noticed anything on himself), I've pretty much ruled out an STI causing my problem. It brings a lot of relief to scratch or rub when it itches, but only for a little while, and the urge comes up again. The skin goes red and I've even noticed I've broken some skin scratching (it worried me a lot when I first saw, thinking it might be an STI, but I don't think it resembles anything, just very raw scratched skin [Frown] ). My outer labia also gets very dry, and I use a light moisturiser to help the dry/itch as I don't really know what else to do.

I know it can't be very healthy to scratch and possibly invite worse problems like infection or greater STI risk, but I'm not sure I want to remove the ALL the hair constantly, although I'm starting to lean towards removing it again to see what its effects are for this problem. Do you have any tips on what I can do?

--------------------
"Nothing spoils the taste of peanut butter like unrequited love."

Posts: 44 | From: Right here :) | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you have this same discomfort before you removed the hair?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSYCHOanalytical
Activist
Member # 43343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PSYCHOanalytical     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, which is also a reason I decided to try it.

--------------------

Posts: 44 | From: Right here :) | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. So, it sounds like what this is is the discomfort of grow-in. After hair has been removed -- especially when it's been shaved, or a chemical remover was used -- the hair grows back in with a rougher edge and a little coarser at first, because unlike your old hair, it's new, it hasn't been softened by months or years or being around.

If you just wait it out and let it grow back in, in time it'll probably feel just fine again. In other words, this is likely temporary. Or, obviously, you can stay in the habit of removing it, though that means that sometimes it's going to feel like this no matter what, since you likely don't have time in your life to always stay on top of hair removal.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSYCHOanalytical
Activist
Member # 43343

OK, thank you Heather. I realised last night that it's probably because it's gotten to a certain length and the rough edge curls in just enough to cause discomfort. I'll see how it goes [Smile]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

I always say that when it comes to shaving hair, anywhere, I always want someone to be told that one thing they've just got to know is that the soft, downy hair we have in places is that way because it's never been removed or cut. That way, everyone knows they need to say buh-bye to that hair texture, at least for a while, and if they don't want to, can choose accordingly.

Hair can get back to that texture after it's cut, but it does tend to take some time.

In the meantime, it might help to use some skin lotion or conditioner on the area, and to also exfoliate gently when you bathe with a washcloth, pouf or loofah.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.