Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » oral herpes/cold sores

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: oral herpes/cold sores
laudividni987456321
Activist
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laudividni987456321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I accidentally used another persons water bottle today (she had been drinking from it and i grabbed instead of mine a bit later).

I'm just wondering is it possible to get oral herpes/cold sores from water bottles?

she says she gets crackes/sores on her lips that get infected but says they're not coldsores...but it still makes me nervous.

if it is possible, is it likely i got it too? how can i tell?

Posts: 130 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's possible (if she does even have oral herpes), yes, though much less likely than with direct contact with an active sore. Much more likely is catching something like a cold or a flu. So, in general, you really want to avoid sharing water bottles unless you already have intimate contact with someone (and thus, would be exposed to all their potential bugs in a much bigger way otherwise).

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laudividni987456321
Activist
Member # 44555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laudividni987456321     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is there any test i can have done to find out if i did get it?
Posts: 130 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Herpes is something you can be tested for with a blood test, or, and better still, by a biopsy of an actual sore, because so often antibodies to Herpes will show up in blood tests since with so many people having it, so many of us have been exposed to it, even if we don't actually acquire it.

If and when you get a range of STI tests, ideally that should include testing for Herpes.

But I'd also stay reasonable about this. If your friend knows she doesn't have oral herpes and tells you that, she probably doesn't.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laudividni987456321
Activist
Member # 44555

the sores she described could be herpes...sore spots that crack and get infected? (does that sound like it).

i read the 'herpes' sheet on this site....can it really be spread through kissing cheeks?
can it be spread via me touching my mouth, then touchign someone else?

is it contagious before a first outbreak?
is it contagious if i never have an outbreak but still have the virus?

can i be tested if there are no sores?

sorry for all the questions....just a bit freaked out (im really stressed cause of study and its affecting my nerves)

laudividni987456321
Activist
Member # 44555

is there anything i could have done when i first drank from the bottle? does washing mouth out or wiping your mouth reduce the virus getting it/stop it?

if i did catch it, do sores appear soon?

Heather
Member # 3

Again, you're talking about a virus that it doesn't sound like your friend even HAS. So, I really think you'd benefit from taking your panic here down a LOT of notches. You can't get herpes from someone who does not have herpes.

IF someone has herpes and you share something like a toothbrush or water bottle from them when they have an active sore, that can pose a risk, and you can't undo that risk. IF and when a person contracts oral herpes, usually they have an outbreak within the first week or two.

And yes, you can get tested for herpes like you can for other diseases.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

laudividni987456321
Activist
Member # 44555

can you get tested straight away? or is there an incubation period?

thank you for your help

laudividni987456321
Activist
Member # 44555

sorry, i have another question about herpes, more of a 'just been thinking', no longer super strssed.

if you touch your mouth and then go to the toilet, can that transfer the virus?

and is it ok to kiss someone if there are no sores?

what does it look/feel like? are little white dots just inside the lips (so ont he lips but just inside the mouth( upper corners)) anything indicative of it?

Heather
Member # 3

I really think given the level of your concerns, the very BEST person to talk to about all of this would be your healthcare provider.

The herpes info we have on site is already pretty in-depth, so if that isn't enough for you I think your doc is the next person to talk with, especially since these aren't questions you're having after a diagnosis, or even after contact with someone you know to have herpes.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.