Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » STD medicine and period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STD medicine and period
DarlingNikki
Neophyte
Member # 43498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingNikki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found out I had a std on sept 7th after being tested on the 3rd. I had a normal period which started about two weeks before I was tested. I'm on birth control and my period usually starts on the Saturday before the start of the placebo pills. During the time I was tested they also gave me a pregnancy test which was negative. Oh yeah the last time I had sex was July 31st. I took the medicine they prescribed. However, I started bleeding on Wednesday instead of Saturday. I'm still bleeding now but it hasn't been as heavy as usual. This is starting to freak me out. I was wondering would the stress I've been under and the medicine make my period act out of character? I just have this huge fear that I could be one of those women who don't find out they're pregnant until they have a kid.
Posts: 35 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingNikki
Neophyte
Member # 43498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingNikki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also just remembered I started this pack 2 days late. So with a combination of all these factors could it cause my period to act weird?
Posts: 35 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you fill me in on what kind of infection you have and what kind of medication you're taking?

Just FYI, starting a pill pack late is one of the BIGGEST ways the pill fails women. So, if you very much do not want to become pregnant, it's very important you always start a pill pack on time, okay? And if you're not backing up with condoms, that not only protects you a lot from STIs, it adds extra pregnancy protection.

[ 09-19-2010, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingNikki
Neophyte
Member # 43498

I had Chlamydia and Gonorrhea. I was given Zithromax and Rocephin on the same day. I completely understand that starting pills late has a huge effect on the pills. I didn't really worry about it this cycle because I haven't had sex since July but I will definitely start my new pack on time.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Bleeding with Chlamydia, all by itself, is not unusual. As well, given when you started your pack, especially if you didn't make up those missed pills, likely also has something to do with the bleeding.

But do yourself a favor and use condoms henceforth, okay? With fluid-borne infections like the two you got, condoms are known to reduce the risk by over 90%.

You'll also want to check back in with your healthcare provider sometime after your treatment is done to be sure it cleared the infection, especially if you're still having any bleeding.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingNikki
Neophyte
Member # 43498

I made up the pills according to my insert. The last time I had sex I used a condom but I'm guessing it broke. I had made a post about my situation in the support group forum about a week ago. Would bleeding from chlamydia look like period bleeding? It seems like I'm on my period now it's just kind of erratic and started on a wednesday instead of saturday when it normally does.
Heather
Member # 3

It could, but it's more typically lighter spotting. But not always.

So, again, I'd just keep an eye on it, and when you talk to your doctor again after your treatment, fill them in on the bleeding, especially if you still have it after your treatment.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

DarlingNikki
Neophyte
Member # 43498

Oh yeah, I pills I took for Chlamydia was one dose so I took it on the 7th and that was it. The nurse at student health said that I wouldn't need to come back for a check up because the medicine is extremely effective.
Heather
Member # 3

Well, often it is, but sometimes one treatment alone doesn't do it. A follow-up visit is ideal, especially if -- as it sounds in your case -- someone had an infection for months before treatment.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

DarlingNikki
Neophyte
Member # 43498

If you had an infection for months would symptoms just randomly show up? I figured something was wrong after the last time I had sex because I had an abnormal amount of discharge, nausea, and lower back pain about a week after which according to the info sheet I was given are signs of chlamydia.
Heather
Member # 3

For most people, most of the time, most STIs are asymptomatic: in other words, don't show any noticeable symptoms at all. That's why only getting tested if and when someone has symptoms is not the sound way to manage testing, but instead, regular testing as a habit is recommended.

Those things very much can be, and may have been, signs of Chlamydia. But not knowing when your last test for STIs was, there's no telling when you got it and how long you had it for unless you can at least reference the last time you were tested for it and had a negative result.

I'm really glad you went in and got seen, by the way. Sometimes we have to tell users to get checked for months, even years, before they do. Good on you for stepping up to take care of yourself well.

[ 09-19-2010, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

DarlingNikki
Neophyte
Member # 43498

I was received a full Sti screening at my gyn office back in march of this year and everything came back negative.
Heather
Member # 3

Okay, so you can know that you contracted it sometime between then and now.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

DarlingNikki
Neophyte
Member # 43498

Thank you for the compliment! I take my personal health very serious. I just wish a lot of other people could do the same.
Heather
Member # 3

Me too! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.