Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Resistant strain of yeast?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Resistant strain of yeast?
kissmypineapple
Neophyte
Member # 48931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissmypineapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to the doctor a few times recently with itching and burning that worsens considerably after sex, and after she did a wet prep, she said it was an obvious yeast infection, that I'd probably only partially treated with an over the counter medication when I recently thought I had a yeast infection. I was given terconazole, and while I'm not itchy, I still had some burning and irritation after sex. She tested me at my request for chlamydia, gonorrhea, and trich, and all were negative. She said that sometimes the skin takes a while to heal after an infection and to use a lubricant for a while.

Well, now I'm in Prague for vacation with my family, and the itching is more intense, not horrible, but not comfortable, and I have that same thick white discharge. Since I self treated, and that didn't work, and the terconazole didn't work, is it possible that I have a resistant strain? I had vulvodynia three years ago that took two years to diagnose and properly treat (I was lucky, and it was attributable to hormonal BC in my particular case, so I have a Paraguard now), so any discomfort with sex, or difficulty in diagnosis puts me in panic mode. My boyfriend's semen is sweet; could there be sugar in it causing yeast infections? We also had sex in a lake about a month back and my symptoms started shortly after that. Could I have picked up a parasite or something?

Thank you for any help! I'm trying not to freak out and assume that my vulvodynia is back.

Posts: 15 | From: Indianapolis | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible that your earlier infection wasn't entirely treated and has now returned; or, you picked up an infection from having sex in a lake (not a good idea, in general). It may be as well that the strain of yeast you have is somewhat resistant to treatment, which can happen, but then again, sometimes it just takes more than one treatment to get rid of an infection, particularly if it's gone untreated for awhile.

If it is a yeast infection, it's unlikely your boyfriend's semen has anything to do with it, but sometimes partners find that yeast infections get passed back and forth - male-bodied people don't tend to show symptoms, but sometimes both partners need treatment.

I know that's a lot of "maybes", but one thing I can say is that it doesn't sound like you have any reason to be concerned that your vulvodynia is back. What you're describing sounds like a pretty classic yeast infection, or at least an infection of some kind - it doesn't seem like anything other than that is going on.

How much longer will you be away from home? You'll want to make an appointment with your doctor when you get back, but in the meantime using some plain yogurt in your vagina and on your vulva may help soothe some of the discomfort and help balance out the yeast and bacteria in your vagina.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.